first time restoring

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vijaygunners, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vijaygunners

vijaygunners Registered Member

I tried to do my first restore today but something when wrong. I have backup up my entire C drive onto 7 cd-r's and wanted to restore the whole thing.

I got to this window and clicked on the C drive (I wasnt sure which one the click on)

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6346/screenhunter0013uj.jpg

but when I clicked reboot at the end I got a message saying:

E000101F4: Failed to write data on the disk
    Failed to write sector 0 of the hard disk 1

what have I done wrong?

2. gluis

gluis Registered Member

I think you need to click next to Disk 1 to pick both c: and the MBR

3. vijaygunners

4. gluis

gluis Registered Member

5. vijaygunners

6. gluis

gluis Registered Member

As an example, let's say your system has 1 hard drive in it that is 40G and it has windows XP loaded on it as your operating system. That 40G drive is considered to be your system drive.

When you look at the drive in Explorer, if it only has C: listed then it only has one partition, the C: partition.

Now let's say that the one 40G hard drive was partitioned to add 2 other drive designations to it, D: and E: (This is usually done to help better organize files or keep sizes more managable). So the 40G drive could look like this: The C: partition (your primary partition) has 10G, the D: partition (called an extended partition) has 15G and the E: partition (also considered an extended partition) has 15G. Add them all together and you get 40G, the size of the drive.

Think of a hard drive as a big room that has "walls" (partitions) added to it to sub-divide the room's space. A large room (C:) has 2 walls (partitions) added to create 3 rooms (C:, D: & E:) Kind of simplistic but I think the analogy works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(computing)

Now to your question (finally). If your system hard drive does not have any other partitions on it (you just have a "C:" drive) then answering yes will be okay.

BUT, if other partitions (extended partitions) are on there you will end up erasing all the data on those partitions and just be left with a C: drive.

When a backup image is made of your system drive (the drive that contains your operating system) all partitions on that drive need to be included in that image. That's how I understand it.

7. vijaygunners

that makes sense now thanks

8. vijaygunners

I did everything i was instructed to do but I get the same message after I click reboot.

I even tried restoring a previous backup I had made but I get stuff all over again.

Any ideas

9. vijaygunners

10. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Yes, since you are restoring to a drive that already has partitions on it, Acronis must delete all partitions before it can procede with a restore. And this is why it is advisable to first TEST a restore on a SPARE hard drive to make sure the restore process is successful i.e. provides a bootable drive.

If you still are not successful, try doing the procedure from the bootable Rescue CD which you have to make via one of the menu items in the Acronis software.

11. vijaygunners

which 1 do I select to make the bootable rescue cd? or do I select all 3?

Acronis Bootable agent (Full version)

Acronis True Image (Full version)

Acronis True Image (Safe version)

12. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Try the first, if that doesn't work, try the second and if that doesn't work try the third.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vijaygunners,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

The message "Non-empty destination disk" appears when you choose to restore the whole drive from the backup. In that case the destination drive is wiped in the restore process and all data previously contained there is lost. Note that Acronis True Image recognizes the drive as non-empty when it has any partitions on it, which do not necessarily contain data.

When creating Acronis Bootable Rescue Media it is recommended to choose Acronis True Image (Full version) and Acronis True Image (Safe version). You can find the detailed instructions on how to create Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media in chapter 10. "Creating bootable media" in the respective User's Guide.

If updating does not solve that problem, please execute the following command "chkdsk X: /r" from Start Menu -> Run (put a partition assigned letter in the place of X) for every partition you have on your disks. Note that to check system partition you will need to reboot.

If that doesn't solve the problem either, please create Acronis Report in the way described below:
    - Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.