First restore and no confidence

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ghughes, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghughes

ghughes Registered Member

I opened a ticket with Acronis support for my 3677 build of True Image on Monday...still no response. I would expect quick response from a backup/restore type software company. I also would expect the first restore to work. Maybe I should lower my expectations. Ready to re-install everything after hard drive failure.
    Errors received:
    hal.dll corrupt or missing, then the cannot boot windows error, then tried file restore instead, but no help.
    Tried boot.ini edits after windows boot error and hal.dll. Seems like a goose chase with no real ending, especially when I am on my own using guesses from all over the internet.
    Can anyone get me some support from acronis?

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

While you're waiting you might try fixmbr if you have a WinXP Install CD or have the recovery console installed (assuming you're running WinXP) and you might try searching on terms like hal.dll, corrupt, MBR, boot, failure, etc. There are COUNTLESS threads like yours in here.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ghughes,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that problems of this sort usually arise if the partition layout of the destination hard drive is different from that of the original disk. In case you restore a single system partition and not the entire hard drive it is recommended that you re-create the same partition layout on the destination disk as it was on the original hard drive. The size of partitions can in fact be different but the quantity has to be the same. We also recommend that you restore your system to the partition of the same number it originally resided on. Otherwise, you will need to make the appropriate changes to your boot.ini file. Please see these previous threads for details: auto logoff problem, Cloning a drive?.

Please also note that if you restore your system to a replacement disk (e.g. original hard drive has failed for some reason) then you might need to restore the original hard drive MBR for the restored operating system to be bootable and function normally.

You may also do as crofttk has suggested and try fixing the hard drive MBR either by booting the computer from the corresponding Windows version installation CD and issuing the 'fixmbr' command in the Recovery Console or using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post.

If the above does not help then please provide us with the following information:

- Which Windows version do you use exactly?

- Where do you store your backups?

- Let us know if there are any errors during the backup restoration process;

- What exact error messages do you receive upon the attempt to boot the restored operating system?

- Clarify whether you restore the entire hard drive or an individual partition(s).

- Did you restore your system to the original hard drive or to a replacement disk?

- If you restored your system to a replacement disk, please let us know the types of the both source and destination hard drives (e.g. IDE, SATA, SCSI, RAID, erc.);

- Did you change the hardware configuration of your computer since this particular backup archive was created?

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download Acronis Report Utility and run it on any "healthy" computer;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer having the issue (i.e. containing the restored non-bootable operating system) from the beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

In case you do not have a floppy drive we recommend that you borrow one in order to create Acronis Report. If it is not possible please connect the hard drive containing the restored non-bootable operating system to any other "healthy" computer, i.e. computer which can successfully boot into Windows, and create a report from within Windows as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

If you do not receive a reply within a two days period, please let us know your request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter. We will find out the reason for the delay. In case no autoreply is received, please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.