First Look

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Sjoeii, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

All good so far....................

Installed with no problem using default settings. First full scan only took 22 minutes for about 20GB of "stuff" Seems quicker than NOD32 for this - or is it just me wanting it to be better?

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Yep it is very fast.

I'm very curious on what this engine will do in the av-comparatives.

3. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Installed it on my old pc till now seems to be working okay will update more after testing it the whole day today :)

4. TJP

TJP Registered Member

I don't know which posts you've been reading...o_O

You're not a shill for Dr Web are you :p

As for my own experience with the suite, its as stable as Nod32 V2.7 & scans faster, the firewall passed the all of the GRC "Shields Up" tests.

Seems like a good all-in-one solution to me.

5. _deXter_

_deXter_ Registered Member

Overview:

Firstly, this isn't just a simple bundle of Firewall + Antivirus + Antispam. Its a completely integrated (single) product; a single service "Eset Service" controls and contains the entire app. (You cannot disable this service from the service manager)

Interface:

The interface is a fresh change from the old NOD32 look. It has a slick vista-inspired look. The interface also reminds one of Kaspersky Internet Security. All notification messages are delivered using a sleek popup baloon, that fades in/out.

Performance:

As expected, performance was great! It didn't slow down a PIII PC with 256 MB ram. Although memory usage was higher than what NOD32 users are normally used to (~30 MB), the CPU usage was constantly zero. But considering that you're getting a Firewall, AntiVirus and AntiSpam all in under 30 MB, it does use considerably lesser memory compared to its competitors.

Bugs:

Sometimes the interface gets locked up. As a result, the hotkeys Ctrl+R, Ctrl+M don't work, the Real-time filesystem protection can't be disabled from the main interface, links like "Configure", "Enter antivirus protection advanced setup", etc in the Advanced mode sometimes don't work, clicking on Enable/Disable on the other modules work, but the interface doesn't update. The scheduler isn't working.

Limitations:

Keyboard shortcuts aren't present for the main options. It's not possible to scroll down the window using the Arrow/PgDn keys. It's not possible to quickly disable the entire program, if needed. Firewall doesn't protect against DLL Injection/DDE Attacks/Timed Attacks/PID change-trick/parent-child thread bypass etc. Antivirus still doesn't have a good cleaning engine (its good at detecting and removal, but not cleaning).

--

For detailed Firewall tests, please read this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171051

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no but ive never seen sooo many bugs posted for a beta before.

for a product that is still beta 1, i understand... but if kaspersky ever brought out a beta with sooo many bugs, people wouldn't be sooo understanding, i think people are trying to be 'good' to eset here because its been soooo long in the making, and expectations are high.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yeah, I agree with Chris, but I do have it working well for me right now. Quick incremental improvements from Eset, will go a long way right now for them.

8. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

You seem to have never tested the very first builds that Kaspersky released for the v6. They were slowing down the system to a grinding halt or so, and were damn buggy. It took more than one year in beta to bring it to a correct level (6.0.0.300) and there were still spikes and so on. And it took much time to get to MP1, too.

I think for a first beta, this one's pretty decent, even if there's still much room for improvement (UI bugs, leaktest protection/HIPS, ad blocking).

9. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Kaspersky's Betas have been loaded with 'issues' as has the released software. Many of the so-called 'bugs' posted here I would suggest are 'knee-jerks' often resolved by spending more time with the product. My feeling too is that this is pretty clean - running on XP Pro / SP2 with no major issues...just a few 'nit-picks' around functionality that will be added in future Betas and the released product.

P.S I remember the KAS forum not so long ago (I was testing Betas...) and the moderators were having a hard time pacifying people...

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Beta products will have bugs as noted in this post. Let's stay on topic without extraneous discussion of other programs and forums.

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Re: Great Job

There is a degree of truth in what you say about KIS/KAV IMHO but what is intereting and pertinant to this thread is that from what I have seen so far the planned KIS/KAV 7 GUI does have a passing resemblance to ESS 3. Whilst I am a KIS user I am alwys looking for the best to protect my PC and so applaud the competition that ESET seem to have produced if this first beta is anything to go by. Competition is healthy for all...especially us users who pay the money.;)

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

May be, but nothing better then the TIC method for beta testing.
    So for Eset, throwing it out here to us, in the long term may prove to be the most efficient way to correct things.

T-Test
    I-Identify
    C-Correct

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I should have know. Tried to open 3 browsers and computer froze. I am just going to have to wait. Aviras beta is much more stable. Who was it, that said Eset always releases stable betas.:thumbd:

14. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Trjam,

works fine here so far.The firewall works great. much better than avira.I installed avira beta yesterday and removed it after 10 mins. :thumbd:

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

trjam,

Haven't seen anything like this yet. Tried to overload it by launching 3 instances of Firefox (15 tabs each), IE native, and Maxthon. No issues. What browsers/version did you have active?

Blue

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I respect your thoughts. It is hard though to tell something in just 10 minutes, but you do have to do what you feel is best for you. :) Nothing wrong with that. Personally after the last few days, it is apparent to me, that Avira is moving forward in the security field, why Eset is going in the opposite direction. Just my 2 cents. And I have been wrong before.

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please refrain from such attacks especially if you don't provide any objective arguments. ESET is moving further quite fast and I can tell that for sure as I work for ESET, know all ins and outs and have experience with some other AVs as well. Bashing and trolling will never be accepted here.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I was doing neither. If you read back through some of my posts I have been testing the suite since it came out and there are both positive and negative feedback. I was just stating my own thoughts and by no means trying to influence anyone. Geez man, lighten up. I am a paid customer. But I will keep from posting in this section and honor your wishes. Sorry.

19. Siro

Siro Registered Member

I personally believe with the help of the input of the beta testers Eset will improve the product to a state where many people are seeing Kaspersky today all we need is to give them some time instead of criticising them and hopefully everything will be good in a few months time after extensive testing :)

20. BlueZannetti

Just a personal perspective here....,

all customer-based criticism (and I do mean all) is extremely important and should always be received with an open ear since all too many customers silently move on and you really never know why.

Eset needs to hear and closely listen to the criticism offered here from all quarters. It's the only venue in which that is going to happen. Like anyone else, myself included, there are areas in which they can improve on. For example - if I cannot quickly ascertain the expiration date of my subscription in V3, I very well may move on - and yes, that is a very real criticism offered by me, a current customer with a pair of licenses with over 1 year remaining, and I am speaking with complete candor - it is height of ridiculousness that I cannot do that in the current version.

When I look at the current version, it's a little ambiguous whether I will be able to do that in ESS V3. I am serious - I don't need that irritation. The best way to identify those areas that are pain points for people is to listen to the existing paying customers.

Again just my personal opinion, but it's offered as a paying active customer.

Blue

21. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I don't think this part of the forum is a section for a security set up war.

ESET has been doing some great things. I as a Kaspersky fan must say this new ESS is really great. Offcourse it needs some improvements but for the first beta it looks and feels great

22. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Blue
    While I am in agreement with you points, I will respectively add to your "all customer-based criticism" and change it to "constructive criticism/feedback", as you have done in pointing out that irritation.
    IMHO if someone says "I don't like X", but provide no proof or reason to dislike "X", then it is meaningless.
    I am NOT "jumping" on the NOD bandwagon here, just saying that although "bugs" will be in "betas", it is helpful to bring them to the company;s attention with 'substantive and "objective" proof, by testing and providing "constructive" feedback".
    The last time I checked (I could be wrong), a "beta" is issued, so that the public can "kick the tires" and point out the flaws. However, nothing can be fixed if the feedback is not "objective" and provided with meaningful input.
    I will be flamed for expressing my opinion, but that is to be expected.
    That is my .00000002 cents :)
    Listen to the NOD song, and smile :) :) :)
    http://www.eset.com/company/funstuff/nigel/NOD32songs/The NOD Song.mp3
    Cheers :) :)

23. BlueZannetti

freda,

Some aspects may need proof, others don't. Regardless, no active customer comment is meaningless, ever. I'm not saying the customer is always right, they're not. I am saying that customer feedback should always be heard. The vendor may ultimately choose another to ignore it. However, what a vendor shouldn't do is dismiss it out of hand without drilling down, if needed, to obtain an explicit statement in the customer's own words of precisely what the customer feels is amiss or where their pain resides. The drill down aspect of this exercise is critical and requires both sides to actively engage.

For the specific issue I point out, parts of it are obvious. If I purchase an Eset license, the clock starts ticking on the day of purchase. I realize that notifications are issued and so on. I also realize I can follow-up with Eset directly if I purchase a license renewal a few days early and they may set things right. Guess what - I take care of a number of home machines and travel a bit as well. I always can't coordinate either my schedule or attention to the installed AV's expiration date on all the home machines. I've already been through a license that was out of date for a few weeks because I couldn't quickly assess it and the main user missed the notifications. Actually, I should be able to queue up a new username/password and have it take over when the old one expires. This facility is offered by some competitors in some products. Eset can listen to this specific criticism or not; I can choose to purchase their product or not if this point is sufficiently important to me.
    If you've been in product development for a while, don't expect customer criticism to be fully developed at the initial offering all the time. If a user/tester is offering comment, the vendor should take that opportunity to drill down to make sure they really understand the issues afoot with that customer. For every customer willing to voice an opinion, scores will simply silently walk into the night. My personal experience is that many times people on the vendor side (I'm speaking as a vendor here - it just happens to be a different industry) don't really understand the underlying critical issues since they come at the situation from divergent perspectives with somewhat dissimilar end goals.
    That exchange is a two way street and how it is managed by the vendor plays a large role in the quality of data ultimately obtained.

IMHO,

Blue

24. MNKid

MNKid Registered Member

25. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Installed last night. Seemed to go well except that you need to make sure that you have no other security app preventing the installation of services, etc., otherwise the install will abort and rollback automatically (nice touch from ESET).

Seemed relatively stable for a 1st beta. Tried setting up some of my own firewall rules (need to switch to advanced mode and then switch from Automatic Filtering mode to Interactive...after which you will get prompts for both inbound & outbound connection attempts by unknown programs. Does not yet appear to be a large white list of safe programs...but I suspect that this will come with the fullness of time.

Only negative was that Interactive mode seemed to slow down connection attempts. The pages requested eventually appeared but progress in loading them was painfully slow (when compared with the same pages loading under KIS 6).

Anyway, not a bad first attempt. I will review agian once the next beta comes out but does look promising and I think that when ready it will give KIS 6 a run for its money...perhaps until KIS 7 is out.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.