First Defense Question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by WilliamP, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Right now I have 3 snapshots ,primary,secondary and new. I went into the secondary to reload Windows XP .Then I made the new from the secondary. If I try to update the new from the secondary it won't let me. I have to go to the primary ,the I can updae the new from the Secondary. I used to be able to update when I only had 2 snapshots. Contacted support and was to to run chkdsk /f /r . Did that twice ,didn't help. Help please. I want to be able to remove the primary then rename the other 2.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, you cannot update any Snapshot that you are in at the moment, in other words, to update a Snapshot you must be out of it. You can use the Snapshot that you are in to update another Snapshot but if you are presently in it, you cannot update it. If you want to update the Snapshot that you are using, simply boot into another Snapshot and go from there.

You can remove any Snapshot at any time AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT IN IT. Simply boot into another Snapshot and then remove it.

Hope I understand what you were asking, good luck.

Acadia

3. WilliamP

I wasn't trying to update the snapshot I was in .I was trying to update the new snapshot from the Secondary. I was in the secondary.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, that should have worked, definitely something for tech support. Let us know what the answer is when you find out, thanks and good luck.

Acadia

5. WilliamP

All they told me was to run chkdsk and then didn't respond when I told them it still didn't work.

Attached Files:

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Whoa, now that is one error message that I have never seen before! I'm betting that you will hear back from tech support. I could take some guesses, probably all wrong: are you running Process Guard or are you running any program that messes with the Master Boot record?

Acadia

7. WilliamP

Running Process Guard on all snaps.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, I do not have Process Guard but I know that it requires special handling if you are using FirstDefense. Use the Wilders Forum Search feature to find the threads that discuss how to do this. Once again, good luck.

Acadia

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi guys

Re Process Guard, all i do is dissable PG, or else the *.dat files won't get copied. As to removing the primary snapshot I'd be awfully careful about that. It is your base system before FDISR is installed and removing it or trying conceivably could really mess up your system.

Pete

10. WilliamP

Looks like I am going to have to change my plans. I will keep my primary.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If you prefer one of your other Snapshots over the Primary, all you have to do is update the Primary using the other Snapshot, then they will be identical ... but you probably already know this. :cool:

Acadia

12. WilliamP

First Defense wont work right in the secondary snapshot . I feel like the best thing is to remove it and then create a new secondary. The primary is the only one I trust. Of course I guess it was my fault. I didn't Exit PG but I did disable protection.Peter told me to do that but I forgot.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, then something is definitely wrong, you should be able to do all FirstDefense features in all Snapshots. Also, you can work on two Snapshots that you are not even in, in otherwords, if you are in Snapshot #1, you can use Snapshot #2 to update Snapshot #3; you are working on two Snapshots and neither one of them you are "in".
    Acadia

14. WilliamP

I feel that something got messed up with FDISR when I created the secondary snap shot .Maybe when I didn't exit PG or when I did a repair install of Windows in the secondary after it was created. Then I created a new snap from the secondary but I couldn't update the new from the secondary. I could go into the primary ,then get the secondary to update the new. I am back in the Primary and removed the other two. I will start over exiting PG and not doing a repair install of windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.