First Defense and SSD's

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by silver0066, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I kept getting a 1722 error when installing First Defense on a newly installed XP system SSD drive.

After spending alot of time searching this Forum and sending logs to Todd, we discovered that FD-ISR will NOT work on SSD drives.

Todd is very busy on another project, but will look into fixing the incompatibility when he gets some time.

I have not had any other problems with about 40 or 50 applications that I have installed. I used to have 2 WD 10K rpm Raptors in RAID 0 mode and the SSD drive is between 4 and 10 times faster than the Raptors. It makes computing a real joy. I just purchased the Intel X25-M and won't go back.

I just installed the new Rollback 9 (Released April 24th) and so far it is working fine. I have had many problems with Rollback 8.1 over the years and so I am keeping my fingers crossed and making lots of StorageProtect incrementals.

Hopefully, the fix will be simple and Todd will get to it before my Trial is up.

Silver

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Good to know. Thanks for posting, Silver.

3. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yep, very valuable info, Silver. Thanks for sharing.
    And so glad to know that Todd is wanting to study the matter hoping for a possible fix. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Echo thanks.

5. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Sorry to disagree, but I have FD running and working perfecctly on both my EEEPC netbooks with SSD's. I had absolutely no problem installing, creating snapshots, updating or copying. Having said that, I did have to change vss to RSS which I prefer anyway. Would that help?

Ken

6. silver0066

How can you change to RSS if you can't even install the program? I am using an Intel X25-M ssd. Maybe there is something different about Intel's drives that prevents installation.

7. kennyboy

My SSD drives are both Intel, so I have no idea why. I was just saying that the only problem I had was using VSS after I installed FDR. RSS solved it and it is running brilliantly as usual. Sorry I couldn't help.

8. silver0066

What OS are you using?

I am using XP SP3 and I get boot strap errors in the log file upon installation as the DOS window flies by. Then the installation fails and backs out. This happens on a clean install.

9. kennyboy

Same as you on both machines. Maybe we are using different versions of FDR. Mine is not the current release. It is 320 Build 202. Don't know if that would make any difference though.

10. silver0066

I am using v3.31.235. Maybe that is the difference. I have deleted my older version and, if I remember correctly, I think the key was different so I don't have access to try it out.

So far, RollbackRx v9 (new edition) has worked just fine. I have had a couple of Improper Shutdowns due to other faulty software which caused chkdsk to run, but there were no negative results from Rollback as in the past with v8.1. I still keep lots of StorageProtect incrementals just in case.

Silver

11. kennyboy

Can't actually see why the drive being SSD should make a difference. I would have thought that storage is........well....storage. Be interested to see what Todd has to say about it. Have enormous faith in that guy.....:)

12. silver0066

Todd sent me version 205 to test on the X25. It installed where v235 would not (it had bootstrap errors). I switched to RSS after installing 205, as suggested, and FD would copy and archive snapshots, etc, but the Pre-Boot could not be enabled.

Todd is very busy and he will not be able to get to this until July.

I have been using FD for years and I feel naked without it, but the SSD is so much faster than my RAID 0 Raptors, I have decided to keep my System and Program Files on the SSD and use Rollback v9. It is much improved over v8.1 and has worked flawlessly for three weeks.

Along with StorageProtect running incrementals from the SSD to the Raptors, which are automatically synced to an external drive nightly, I have the same protection as I did before. I can now do a full backup of about 11.5 gigs in less than 5 minutes. The incrementals take 1 to 5 seconds.

Silver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.