Firewire (1394) and Windows 98 SE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

2. dak

dak Registered Member

I knew about the update when it was first offered (to me) as a recommended(?) update on the Windows Update Site, but didn't realize/connect it with Firewire. I probably didn't know about Firewire then. :D

I seem to remember it plays a part in the Win98SE shutdown issues somehow.

I've since uninstalled it. I think I have, but I'm not sure as I haven't reconciled my updates list lately. :doubt:

--
    dak

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi dak,
    Thanks for your reply ! ;)

I don't remember whether I have got it offered as an update in the past :oops:

That site says:
    Quote:
    The update installs a Safe Removal utility that allows you to safely stop a Plug and Play storage device prior to physically unplugging the device. This component also includes an update for 1394 drivers to resolve issues related to the surprise removal of peripheral devices. Large performance improvements, in the order of 300%, have been made over the implementation of 1394 storage drivers in Windows 98 Second Edition.
    - end quote -

So indeed it has to do with "safely stop a Plug and Play storage device prior to physically unplugging the device."

If you know whether this update causes any problem, please let me know !!!

I have installed it yesterday. I had today a problem with starting my PC, but I really don't know whether this is related to that installation...

The reason why I installed it:
    I was planning to use an external firewire HD for backup purpose.
    So I replaced my Sitecom USB2 card with a Sitecom USB2-Firewire combo card.
    In the manual of the Maxtor external HD I saw that link mentioned, and that it was advised to install it.
    At the moment I have not installed that external Maxtor HD.
    (I had to buy a new external HD because my previous one crashed... :mad: ).

Thanks !
    Cheers, Jan.

4. dak

dak Registered Member

When I mentioned that it may have something to do with shutdown issues, I was thinking it had been cited as one of the possible problems that would keep Win98SE from shutting down properly. I believe I may have had it confused with the MAPPED DRIVES update in that respect. When I tried to doublecheck what I thought I had remembered, I kept running into the MAPPED DRIVES update and not the FIREWIRE update. If that caused you any undue concern, I apologize. Mea culpa (underwritten by senility). :doubt:

Have you found out if your starting problem was connected with the FIREWIRE update, or just a coincidence in timing? I (apparently) really don't know of any problems with it.

--
    dak

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi dak,

Thanks ;)

At the moment I guess it was more a coincidence. Maybe caused by overheating, a problem that happens more on my PC (I should make a hole in the site of the case and put an extra fan in it, but I'm not good in these kind of things... :rolleyes: ).
    Both the firewire and the USB2 (depending on which one is used) now comes up with an option to safely remove the external storage HD before disconnecting it from the PC.

Cheers, Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.