Firewalls: Who needs them, who understands them.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by trjam, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Most are like me, the imperfect when it comes to firewalls. I install software with a firewall and WOW, popups galore asking for permission to this and to that. None of which I understand. Yes, I know its ok for my AV, and maybe a few others, but here comes the generic services, my ftp wanted rights. I push ok, ok, ok and I guess. It is so easy for the less known to ruin a firewall right from the start and not even know it. Now NIS 2007 seems to have the right approach with theirs, but most are really confusing, to the meek.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I would advise anyone using the Norton firewall (2006) to change the rules for the norton applications that are created by default, such as the proxy which is allowed inbound connections to local port 1030, and the live update utility which is basically making your PC into an HTTP/FTP server by allowing inbound connections to local ports 20/21/80 (from its own website/servers).

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

One suggestion is you just use a basic firewall like the xp firewall, look'n'stop lite or ghostwall which will give you inbound protection and won't confuse you with multiple pop ups.

4. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Firewalls like ZA that are application based which are easier for most people, but for those into more advanced configurations they usually go for more advanced rule based firewall. ZA Pro has rules, but it is still a application based firewall at heart.

This isn't going to be something you can learn overnight, but those who really want to learn on their own go farther, faster, otherwise your just spinning your wheels doing something your not sure is right or wrong. Most people don't want to take the time to learn how to use a firewall properly so they are the cause of their own problems.

Programs like NIS try to use automatic rules on top of a complicated rule based firewall, but the problem with automatic rules is they are usually loose, along with if you have no clue what they are doing they are useless to the people who are trying to use the program if they have any real issues. Heaven forbid the program you want to allow isn't in their automatic rules, and you have to make manual rules for the program.

5. ahinterl

ahinterl Registered Member

Believe it or not: computers and software are for experts only.

It's pure marketing which is telling you that the average Joe can handle that.

Since the beginning of the computer age, little has changed. Things nowadays have only colorful ties around them, but underneath we find the same complex technologies which were always there -- and which are for the experts.

Thanks God I'm such an "expert" and know what it's all about. So, I always wonder how all the average Joes get along at all...

Andreas

6. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Everyone needs them, but not a lot of people understand every pop up. I know that I don't. If you don't understand the popups, I would suggest a firewall that makes most decisions for you.

7. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Well said.

This is something I have been saying for years, but I know nothing will improve. Nowadays, computers are merely commodities, merely tools for the masses, but unlike cars, require no official learning period, and like cars, the maintenance is left to those with the skill and expertise to do the work.

8. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Truly understanding computers is for the experts. But computers and software are for the masses. Nearly every job that I can think of from secratary to CEO requires some degree of computer and software use.

The computer dummies like myself rely on the computer experts like you to make using the computer idiot proof. Of course, you can't always succeed in that mission, but I feel you are doing a pretty good job.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Computers are tools, magic, revolutionary and powerful. Everyone, experts or newbies alike, enlists their services for a variety of reasons. Softwares are add-on enhancements, enriching computers's performance among others. If you need to get work done by using these tools, you ought to learn to use them and properly. Some lucky ones are already-made experts, someothers are not so lucky to be one of them. The major difference between these two classes is TIME. You can become an expert and make your way into these elite club. Old saying: Practice makes perfect. Stands highly true to this day and beyond. Good luck.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.