Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sandcrab, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandcrab

Sandcrab Registered Member

G'day all,
    I am on dial-up. Do I really need a firewall? I have Webroot's Window Washer & all the anti-virus/spyware programmes I think I need. Am I safeo_O??

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Sandcrab,

That's not an easy question because the answer depends upon a number of factors. For example, you haven't told us what version of Windows you run, or what configuration changes or tweaks you've made to secure it.

While you are running some security software, depending upon the operating system version you have and how its configured, those products may not be totally protecting you. If you are running Windows XP and have not disabled any of the services that are run by default, then you might be exposing some open services to the Internet.

If you can provide more information about your configuration, install software and such, all these things make a difference in the type of recommendations you'll get.

3. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi Sandcrab.

I would always say you need a firewall.... in today's web world... whatever connection you are using to access Internet

anyways

Take this little quiz to help you decide what is right for you.

1. Do you use the Internet for anything, including email?
    2. Do you do online banking?
    3. Do you make online purchases with a credit or debit card?
    4. Do you use online brokerage services?
    5. Do you store personal information on your computer?
    6. Are you attached to a network upon which any other computer may be used for one of the above items?
    7. Do you have high-speed Internet access (ISDN, DSL, Cable modem)?
    8. Do you leave your computer connected to the Internet for extended periods of time?

If you answered YES to any of these items - then a firewall is recommended.

thx

4. Sandcrab

G'day LowWaterMark,
    Yes, I have Windows XP & have disabled all the default services except for automatic updates. Norton Anti- Virus2003 is installed as well as the free ad-Aware,Spybot, Spywareblaster & SpywareGuard. Also have G.R.C's DECOMBobulator, ShootTheMessenger & Unplugn'Pray plus Stop Startup Monitor & a very good popup block from Planet Scott. If I do need a (free) firewall which is the better, Kerio 2.1.5 or Zone Alarm? Thanks for your help.

5. Sandcrab

G'day subratam,
    Thanks for your advice. You could well be right.
    How did you highlight the quotation at the bottom of your posts? It's very cool. Got your 2nd post. Very helpful. :D :D

6. subratam

subratam Registered Member

u shud understand ur need 1st

whether u want a rule based or program based firewall.

rule based firewall means its u who is to configure the incoming and outgoing connection rules in ur firewall and the firewall wud behave acc to that. its effective on condition that u really kno and understand ur rules.

program based firewalls are thoz which are much easier to configure and they take programs specifically and works on them as to which program outgoing connection will be allowed etc.

Kerio 2.15 --> rule based
    zone alarm --> program based

thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.