Firewall with the fastest BOOTUP time

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 1commander, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi TopperID,

this a bit O.T. but may I ask what utility you are using to display those start times?

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

The information was extracted from the Process Monitor tab of SSM.

Of course it is referring to the relative times at which protection commences, rather than the overall time that a computer takes to boot up. ZA starts offering protection at an early stage but could appear slow to a user who is only concerned about how long it takes for his system to get going.

Since ZA starts up before the Application Layer Gateway service, I assume it will start protecting before the Windows FW.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thanks Topper. So are those startup times for processes during the bootup of the pc? I guess I'm thinking of a utility or some other built-in Windows utility that will display trhe boot order of drivers/processes. I used it once before but I can't for the life of me remember what it was :ouch: That Process Monitor function is something I will have to look at the next time I run SSM. I uninstalled it a month ago just to try out a different resident security profile.

Thanks again!

4. 1commander

1commander Registered Member

Thanks for the information everyone. I am going to give Comodo a try after trying Online Armor. I had tried and deleted it a long time ago because it so many of its images all over the place - the windows start up screen and shutdown screens as I recall. (I thought it might have been like one of those anti-spyware packages that are actually spyware themselves at first.) Not going to invest in a hardware firewall now, but I might later. I am a neophyte in this area, so I am not exactly sure of what the benefits would be. I am in the midst of reforming my computer's security and wanted to lean a bit more towards performance (speed) issues this time around.

5. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

You can disable the start up and welcome screen plug in that OA uses.

6. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, according to pro security logs kerio 2.1.5 loads in 2-3 seconds on my xp.
    Two screenshots attached because pro sec doesn't show minute/second unless
    you hover the cursor over the process.

Attached Files:

• ps2.JPG
      ps2.JPG
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
    • ps1.JPG
      ps1.JPG
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Any of the "light" firewalls will no doubt load quickly. Kerio 2.1.5, LnS, Filseclab, the old Sygate Pro and free, XP firewall obviously would be quickest.

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

9. Meganeoman

Meganeoman Registered Member

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

ESET Smart Security :cool: Cold Startup time...38.75 seconds :cautious:

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I wouldn't call this a fast bootup by today's standards :doubt:

12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I notice no boot-time slow-down when using Look 'n' Stop, COMODO Firwall Pro, 8Signs, and CHX-I.

13. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Press the power button....., start the stop watch....., see my desktop..... and launch sandboxed firefox browser from Rocket Dock to wilderssecurity.com...., page loads..... and I stop the stop watch.....time = 45 sec. using comodos latest and greatest firewall w D+ :D

14. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

By and large most of the times quoted are meaningless and just generalisations,unless everybody is running on the same power CPU etcetc.and have the same autoruns,as a standard for measurement.
    Its the nuclear scientist in me!

15. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Which is why you say what you say and won't post your time, meaniningless to you, but not to me, as mine stated and descriptive to the letter, don't matter different comp or OS follow simple steps as stated and see how fast your machine is. Looking at your setup it suppose to do good NAKED. I know I got a fast machine LOL thats all that matters.........Meaningless and generalisations would be IF everyone was running the same stuff, but they not, so individuals giving their own bootup times with whatever firewall and softwares is unique in its own

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  16. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I cleaned out my prefetch folder. Defragged my boot files. Defragged both my hard drives. Now Zone Alarm Anti Spyware starts just as fast as OA and Comodo.

17. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Vette you know you were saying how you should not have to tweak a firewall to make it work? Should you not have to tweak your computer for a firewall to work? :D

18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

ZAAS works without having to tweak it and runs fast and smooth for me with Avast Home. However, the 15 second extra time at the Welcome screen should not be happening with this version. The reason I say this is it claims in the release history of this version that boot time has been improved. It is more tolerable to me at least for this delay than the constant pop ups some other firewalls have, or the lack of logs and other information they should provide. It all depends on what floats you boat as far as preferences to what program you like, but if we are to be honest here, on any given release of whatever software we choose to use,there's always a chance someone isn't going to be happy. What I don't quite understand is how a free firewall like Comodo can run as well as one a paid one like ZA?

19. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Thats normal mintenance Coolio. Your suppose to defrag your pc and every once in awhile clean out your prefetch. Defragging is not tweaking. Thats my Windows lesson of the day for you. After uninstalling and reinstalling so many different apps defragging is what your suppose to do. I cleaned out my prefetch to relean my boot up files since I no longer have Comodo and OA.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  20. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hard to answer this question. Need more information first.

1) What version/ product in ZA family are you using now? This data is needed from you to define a comparable product.
    2) Why do you keep turning it on an off? What is the reason?
    3) Would you like a fast boot up and poor protection or a slower bootup product that provides good protection?
    4) Are you concerned with inbound protection and or outbound privacy or both?
    5) What is the rest of your H/W S/W set up? Router? AV's ASW's HIPS?
    6) FW specifications would have at least a dozen or so requirements not just one and matching an unspecified ZA product.

21. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I am using ZAAS Version 7.0.462.000 and my boot up times are just as good as they were with Comodo or OA. Comodo tries to fool you by giving your your desktop quicker but then the systray icon doesnt appear till 10 secs later. OA delays the welcome screen just like ZAAS does. I dont mind the delay at the welocme screen cause once my system is up and running its faster then it was with Comodo or OA. Yahoo Messenger took along time to load with Comodo or OA and sometimes did not even load. With ZAAS it loads in seconds. I do believe that whole HIPS thing delays alot of apps. I did a leak test with ZAAS and it passed them all with ease. Hell even Shields Up recommends ZA.

22. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Hmm Vette your making me want to try ZA :D. Still got my ZASS free subscription.

23. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Look'n'Stop. :D
    Light'n'Quick. :D

24. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Dude no offensive to Comodo or OA. I thought the memory usage by ZAAS was a bit much but belive you me it does not slow my pc down at all. Maybe if you have less then a gig but who the hell does now a days. Before you try it you have to completely remove Comodo and even when you do Windows Security center will still show it. You need to stop the WMI service then deleted C/Windows/System32/wbem/Repository folder. I really thought OA was gonna be it and I loved it till it started screwing up everything and yes it was OA. OA also has a tab called " My Websites" which shows all the sites your visited. Well that can be a problem if you visit some adult sites like most of us do. I tried to make cCleaner point to that folder but no luck. The only thing that bug me about ZAAS or just plain ZA is the traffic monitor always flashing. No option to stop it. Oh well thats the only draw back.

25. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

LOL too funny. I think I would rather call it poor and ineffective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.