Firewall with Profiles and Per Session Permissions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by egg, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egg

egg Registered Member

This is my first time in looking for a firewall, so I apologize if these are basic questions/scenarios, I looked at the FAQ and it looks like mostly for configuring a rather static set of rules. Previously I have just depended on AntiVirus, AntiSpy and a hardware firewall, but I just got a new laptop and have needed to use it in public wi-fi situations, so I wanted to get something more secure than the firewall that comes with Windows. The trouble is that I use my laptop in different environments that require different firewall settings, here are some examples of profiles:
    * Public Wireless: Super Paranoid
    * Customer Network: Many outgoing ports and tools allowed
    * Private Network: Many outgoing ports and tools allowed and some incoming (usually a friend/family network)
    * Home: Many Outgoing and Incoming ports and tools allowed (ability to share and develop using the home machine)

I need the ability to run a VPN (both Cisco and MS) with the firewall running.

Also I may have multiple connections at the same time that require different settings (for instance a Public Wireless connected to a Customer VPN), the VPN needs to have permissions opened up while the Public Wireless should still be basically locked down.

Finally I would like the ability to add certain rules for a particular connection FOR THAT SESSION ONLY, after that I want it to revert automatically. For instance I may need to allow access for a customer to my MSSQL DB (port 1433), but I want it to default to being off the next time I use that profile, I will turn it on only when it is needed.

I tried some firewalls a few months ago that were spectacular failures (blue screens, ...). So with this new computer before downloading a bunch of things and having to install and uninstall them, I decided to ask to see what might fit my needs. Thanks for any information you can provide.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i know f-secure's suite has a firewall with some profiles, but i dont have much experience with it and, of course, its a suite not standalone firewall.

im not sure about the other features u asked for.

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Symantec Client Security, with Norton Personal Firewall 2006 does the job, especially with vpn & cisco. Im those connection types to. As WSFuser says f-secure does that to. ;)

4. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

F-Secure's suite has a VERY BASIC firewall. It has none what the original poster asked. In fact it has only basic packet filter features as far as I know. No HIPS's, them not needed in my opinion from a firewall, but some other features it should have had.

5. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Go read these links, the Client Security.

Check:
    http://www.f-secure.com/small_businesses/products/fscs.html (Client Security 7)
    or
    http://www.f-secure.com/products/fsavcs.html (Client Security 6).

If egg has acces to it througt work, education or something like that, then thats a possibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.