Firewall Suggestion . .

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TECHWG, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I am looking to replace my firewall. I have used Kerio (sunbelt) and the GUI is crap, i have ZAP now, and this i feel causes me problems. I want something thats not a packet filter but a full personal firewall thats stable, good functioned and works well. i dont mind paying if its good.

Any thoughts ?

WG

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I hate repeating myself, but do try Comodo if you haven't. Any questions post at the Comodo forum and they'll promptly answer.
    I think it's a great FW and it costs zip for life. :thumb:
    They are going to add a sandbox module, and HIPS. If you don't want them, you don't have to use them. In principle you'll be asked if you want them in the 1st place , and even if you install them you can always disable them when you want. It will be in CPF3, the current version is already an outstanding one.

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I use Jetico. For me the best out there, but only for advanced user. A great combination with SSM or in your case PS.

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Actually i have tried comodo and like it, other than it seems to slow down my system during a boot up and waiting for services to start . . i think io may sign upto their forum.

Thankx

5. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

yes when i saw jetico, it struck me as mainly a packet filter with outabound protection. I need a full personal firewall thats not overly complicated with its GUI. I am a PC tech, my parents are not :D

6. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

In this case i think a parentproofed is Outpost or, if you find it in the Internet, Sygate FW (free or payed).

7. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

i dont like sygate because its dated now and non supported, also outpost is my most loved firewall, but it had its time on my system :D i need to try something new and i liike comodo, but they gotto fix the way it loads because my vmware was fine until comodo was installed then system resources and drivers took 20 times as long to load and the system is unusable until everything loads. ZAP is bloatware extrordinaire . . i like a firewall. i dont like a magic bullet bloated HUGE functions comin out the yinyang so to speak

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If you feel up to it, i'm sure your input would be valuable at Comodo forum. Present your opinion and what you think should be perfected. They even have an appropriate thread for suggestions, another for feature requests,...
    They will answer, and try to improve accordingly. Note that it did have more CPU/mem. problems before, and they have been solving them. They want your input to properly improve the product. That's how they work.:thumb:

9. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Already did :D
    http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,4100.0.html

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Great! I bet tomorrow somebody will address your question. It's late now. But who knows:D

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You can try filseclab firewall, its free and light. Outpost 4 is also very good, it it a little bloated but turning off all the uneeded features can fix that.

12. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

:thumb:

Aside from that small problem, i think i will ditch ZAP and go for comodo ..

Arup first introduced me to it, and i had many problems and removed it. Now since then its updated and has more and seems very nice, stable and fully featured ! I think if i can resolve this slow down of bootup issue, i will commend comodo to other people. Although they should offer offline registration or ability to save key file. I have devided my own say to save the registration info of my copy and so i can put it back on the pc at a later time if i happen to not be on the internet and need it installing badly. I do disable most of the functions because all i need is basic inbound outboung protection with no bells and whistles, so i disable quite a lot :D

Like it alot

WG

13. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

also arup showed me this filseclab
    Although i did have quite serious issues although i dont truely remember back what they were, also the gui was not very nice at the time i think or something. Maybe i will revisit it in vmware if its altered since :D

14. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Oh dear filseclab seems to still be 2005 release. maybe i will try when they update. i seem to think that comodo so far is the best looking firewall in terms of function and stability

15. Rico

Rico Registered Member

How about Comodo?

16. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

erm . . . did you read the messages in this post ? lol

Thanks for the heads up though

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Techwig - I love Comodo. I read how you seem to have a slow down of boot up. I must say, the moment I uninstalled ZA suite, my pc began to respond quicker, and my boot up and shut down time was cut in half. After installing my Comodo, I have seen no slowing down at all. It's like it's not even there except for the occasional pop up. :D

18. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

thanks i may just go ahead and try it, btw its techWG as in the WG are my initials :D

Thanks

19. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I would have to vote with those recommending Comodo. If you're looking for something that is effective, yet basically set n' forget, Comodo is great. It has a lot of features for a more advanced user, or it can simply be used with its original configuration for less knowledgable users who don't want to have to tinker with the software. I have used ZA free, Sunbelt Kerio (paid) and Filseclab, and I think Comodo is the easiest to use. Also, security-wise, it is much better than ZA Free. Filseclab is a pretty basic firewall, but seems to have a lot of bugs. For no more features than it has, it used much more memory than Comodo on my system. It also uses much more CPU than the other firewalls, and seems to really get overloaded on CPU if you add too many rules it it. Even though novices wouldn't be adding rules, the fact that it started really bugging out on me causes me to advise others to shy away from it. Stability-wise, if you don't use the extra features (component monitoring, etc) in Comodo, it is actually quite a fast firewall when browsing. For me, pages load faster with it than when using ZA or Kerio. If all a person wants is an effective firewall that blocks bad traffic both inbound and outbound, Comodo fits the bill. Also, considering that it is also free, I don't see where one could go wrong with this firewall.

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

TechWG: you have a reply:cool: apparently an hour later or so:D

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Techwg - Sorry for the corruption of your ID. I must have been thinking of my thinning hair.:D

22. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

In the past two months I have tried Sunbelt Kerio 4.3, Comodo, Outpost 4, Sunbelt Kerio (again), and now Jetico. Despite many claims that Jetico is "complicated", I've found it pretty simple. On original setup it asked if I wanted to go for "Optimal Protection" and of course I said, "Yes", and it went into learning mode. Now all port connections _and_ process initiations have to get my approval before they are allowed. Once Jetico has learned what I want, it does the rest silently. Fewer and fewer pop-ups (never were "too many" to begin with; if you've ever had Zone Alarm in any of its iterations, you know what a learning process is for firewalls, so no surprises at all.)

And, if you ever want to get into really fine tuning the restrictions on port and process initiations, you can do that, too, to your heart's content.

I like Jetico!! So far, so good !! And it's free, to boot!! What's not to like??

//

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Jetico v1 don´t run as a Windows service, so you are unprotected before login for example
    A little workaround is NTWrapper
    Jetico v2 solves this quirk, but isn´t freeware

24. SamSpade

Thanks for the heads up. So, other than that quirk, what's not to like about jetico !!

//

25. SamSpade

Btw, I checked back with Jetico, and the only v2 I can find is a beta, which *is* free. Is there a v2 - not a beta - that is out (and not free) ?? If so, where?

//

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.