Firewall suddenly stops web traffic

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by VikingStorm, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I'm using Norton Internet Security (yes, that resource hog). It's been working fine for over a year until today. I left norton off for a while, and turned it on. Except now the internet will no longer work.

It seems to coincide with Norton blocking an Inbound IGMP Packet from 224.0.0.22 (seems to do that everytime I log on to the internet). What exactly is that? And why does it all of a sudden affect my internet? (have to disable firewall to go to the net)

2. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

You don't say which release of NIS or on which OS, but I'm assuming either NIS 2002 or NIS 2003.

Might try opening the NIS Console and switching over to view System-Wide rules. Look for a "Block Everything" rule like Jamie just reported in the USENET comp.security.firewalls newsgroup. Jamie said:
    If you find the same thing, please take a look a my response to him before you "fix" it.

3. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

No such rule was found though a couple reboots later seemed to fix it. Very odd indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.