Firewall still required if I use a hardware wlan router?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by enrico, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enrico

enrico Registered Member

WLAN routers have a firewall built in. Do I still need a desktop software firewall at all?

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

If you want outbound protection yes. I am using Windows XP SP3 where the built in firewall provides inbound protection only. I am using an NAT router with Outpost Firewall Pro. Outpost also has a built in HIPS program and I use the IP blocklist feature also. So the bottom line is you may or may not need a software firewall based on your experience and/or comfort level.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

What's your configuration ?

A connection between the modem which is connected to the router which is connected to your computer, only one computer and no other devices in the network ?

I would recommend to turn at least the Windows firewall on, and to configure it properly. It hardly consumes any resources.

It's possible that your router will allow some unwanted traffic. The Windows firewall should block that.

There are many interesting posts about the Windows firewall, it seems it drops certain 'invalid packets' that third party firewalls cannot handle properly. There is a lot to read on this website !

If you want outbound control, you need a third party software firewall (or possibly the Vista firewall). That way you have more control over programs that try to initiate an outbound connection.

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

this post is what i was looking for..
    i have a westell versalink 327w. provided by verizon it has 5 options to choose maximun,typical,minimun,no security and custom security.
    all with inbound and outbound rules ..
    also i can change custom option to other rules..
    -..is fully stealthed afte the shieldsup test.
    do i need the windows firewall?...i read in another post that disabling windows firewall frees cpu's power lt.
    -or disabling windows firewall and use a third party firewall along with hardware-firewall..
    -..also hardware firewall along with seconfigxp [it closes a lot of ports]
    what do you think guys.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

IMO software firewall is ONLY useful if u dont have a router otherwise, unneeded system drag...

6. acuariano

so is safe to disable windows firewall when having a router?
    what about secondfigxp.

7. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

No enable it on each PC. Disable Remote Assistance and change Remote Desktop to put to your Computers on your LAN not to point to those outside your LAN like incoming Internet users who you don't want to come on in as it would be open house at your computer. See that's why you need a software firewall. Main router will stop most attacks. Just better off to play it safe.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

IPtables

- Stem

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The XP built in firewall uses very little resources even with demanding applications such as P2P. Leaving it enabled does add a layer of protection
    You are looking at windows hardening. Although disabling various windows services can be recommended (depending on setup/needs), caution is needed.

- Stem

10. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

haRe: Firewall still required if I use ardware wlan router?

I use hardware wlan router,my xp firewall is diabled,router fireall to,NAT enabled,
    i make a little system hardenig,all unsuded system services disabled,+Xp-antispy,Seconfig ap ,Intrusion Detection Enabled in router i feel safe and clean like a new born child!!!!!!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

11. enrico

enrico Registered Member

I would understand the need of an extra outbound firewall ...but:

Almost any program checks for updates, many through http port 80.

Would an allow list not be infinite in size? How does a practical outbound allow list look like? Do you have an example for an average usable system?

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If true, it would not mean I want every program to have that ability.
    It would depend on how many applications you have installed. You should only get a popup once for an application (depending on the firewall/settings), then you allow or deny, no big issue.

- Stem

13. acuariano

yes i disabled some services following blackviper list.
    and like everybody else i'm looking for hardening windows,that's why i asked about configxp.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Use it if you want, it saves having to manually go into the various services to disable. Just make sure you dont actually need any of the services you are disabling.

- Stem

15. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I wouldn't disable the windows firewall. It hardly uses any resources. Even if you are behind a lan, it would protect against something happening inside your lan.

16. acuariano

sorry but...how can you say "use it if you want"
    what i need to know if this is advicesable or not..

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It depends on your setup and what services your setup needs. Any system hardening needs caution as disabling some services may end with some applications not functioning correctly.

- Stem

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It's easy to make a copy of the current, default services profile, then re-name the original "Safe Profile", "Modified Profile" or whatever you want, then disable in it the services you think you don't need. Whenever you re-boot you have the option shortly after the POST to manually select the default profile if something went wrong with the modified one. This way you have a safety cushion just in case. BV's site even explains how it's done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.