firewall/security for elderly man without difficult popups

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sundial, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noway

noway Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

With similar types of users who are unwilling to get themselves at least a bit educated wrt security, you can:

- either restore the Windows image on every reboot (using Deep Freeze, Steady Drive or whatever similar)
    - or make them use a more BFU-proof operating system, such as Linux

Anything else is IMO a waste of time and money.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Good idea, virtualise his program partition or complete PC.

Speaking of waisting money, on windows, Virtual PC might be a simple and cheap alternative, You only have to check every now and then to allow changes (only boot up is slow).

4. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Windows firewall. Alternative broswer. Occasional on-demand scan (CureIt, SAS, etc)
    Job done :thumb:

5. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I am amazed that no one offered the thread starter the option to go for Norton 360. It's on the PC of my parents and they don't even notice it. No virus or any other malware to be found on their PC. And it has backup, defrag, reg clearner, temp deleter, etc.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Had the OP asked for a revenge I certainly would have pointed him the yellow way... :rolleyes: If you are after an overpriced bloatware that will turn your box into 486, this is the latest musthave. Unstable, moody, packed with features than don't work even half as good as their freeware equivalents... Ugh. :thumbd:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.