Firewall Scorecard

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Diver, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Hollywoodpc-

As far as memory usage goes, I guess it is YMMV. I suppose that one may take into account that 30mb is not that bad if in the deal you can remove something like process guard which used about 11mb here the last time I tested it.

However, you are the one that said you switched to outpost because Tiny was too heavy, but it appears that you are using some of these other things that Tiny is supposed to cover along with Outpost. So, it is hard for me to understand exactly what you are thinking.

If you have read some of my other posts, you will know that I am not too fond of advanced application controls in their present state of the art. I stay away from things like Prevx, Process guard and the like. In some cases I will disable the advanced application controls, preferably if I can do it in part.

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Diver . Again . lol .
    I never meant to give the impression that I left Tiny because it was heavy . Quite the contrary . Outpost is very configurable , cost me MUCH less and I like to use separate programs for security . This way I can switch things out as I see fit to try other applications . If I were not so curious about security issues , I would have kept Tiny and kept on going . Hope that explanation helps . Tiny is most assuredly a ^^^^^ ! Remember though . For ease of use , I would give it ^^ . And that might be me being generous . That is my opinion anyway .

3. hollywoodpc

A humble suggestion , if I may . Check out Outpost Pro . See what you think . I am thinking you said you are trying it now ? If not , give it a shot . See what you think . Not loaded down but , top of the line protection . Excellent at what it does . That is why I use it . I am not loyal to anyone . I want things that do what they are supposed to do . Outpost does . Good luck

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

On my test system Outpost pro would not go below 16mb. While that is not wildly excessive, It is no where near as good as some others around here are saying they get. I have heard as low as 3mb to 6mb.

I only looked at it for an hour or so today. It looks like I could figure it out, if I want to. But, I tend to go for the sports cars: Kerio 2.15, CHX-1, LnS and Jetico.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have never gotten Outpost below 22 here. Don't know why. That doesn't really bother me any, but if you're tight on ram, it might matter to some.. Still I consider Outpost a good firewall. I have never had any problems with it on my machine when I use it.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

That's what it is using on my system approx. 4Mb ;)

7. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

Been trialing Outpost Pro for a couple days now and after setting it up to my liking (for my prefs, not for reducing resource use) the mem is around 5-7 and VM around 14-something. I added the traffled plug-in and stopped the content and DNS cache plug-ins (which I don't use) and configured active content to block most everything w/ a few sites as exceptions. Limiting the log settings is probably what brought the mem down, I'm not a log freak and find long logs more confusing than useful, so have them all set to 1000 records and 1 day, except alerts, attachment, and attack logs which are set at 1000 records and 5 days. Outpost Pro seems a solid firewall so far, and a keeper!

8. RKBA

RKBA Guest

Much like the issues regarding RAM and CPU useage, I don't see how Tiny doesn't cost you far LESS monetarily

Each separate security program is a minimum of...what?...$20? Realistically more than that

3 or 4 days ago I got 1-yr Tiny Pro 2005 for $49.50

As far as I know that price is readily available to anyone until mid-April

9. hollywoodpc

Hi RKBA .
    Notice . I said cost to ME . And I do understand mathematics .
    And Diver .
    I am a little confused as to what you are calling sports cars . I like Kerio . Not 2.15 as most . I like the 4.x . I think of sports cars as being fast , sleek , and classy . Maybe you mean light . Ok . But , do not kid yourself . Of the ones you mention , LnS is the winner IMHO . I like Kerio but , again , the newer version . For the record , OP pulls 18 megs on my system . No problem at all considering what it does . Even has protection against rootkits . SWEEEEET . But 4 megs . I would like to know how that is possible . 4 mb ? I thought OP pulled more than that just sitting in a folder and not running . lol .

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Outpost Pro & Memory Envy...

Let's see, two posts just above with Outpost Pro at low memory usage. One says cut down on the log. OK, that sounds like something to try.

Firewalls as sports cars? Let's just say that some are rule based and have very cut down interfaces. To me that is nice. It is a perceptual thing and in the eye of the beholder. Certainly, its not the only way to get the job done. In Texas some folks think an F150 is a sports car because it does not have a back seat. I don't think Outpost is bad, in fact I am gaining some respect for it. Some guys rave about blondes, and I like brunettes. Its that kind of thing. What do the ladies rave about? I hope that I have it.

Happy Easter, may the bunny bring you nice packets.

11. hollywoodpc

Diver .
    I want to take this opportunity to say that I enjoyed this thread with you . You are a pleasure to deal with . Wish there were more like you . Sounds like you are trying to look at everything in the right order to choose what works best for you . Excellent approach my friend . Good luck and Happy Easter to you TOO !!!

12. Howard

Howard Registered Member

13. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

As I responded in the other post:

I think you will find that only deals with IP spoofing where the localhost/loopback IP is being used as a source address in packets arriving at and leaving the firewall. Sygate still does not filter localhost traffic on your system as it relates to using proxy applications.

Regards,

CrazyM

14. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Lucky it doesn't affect me then ;)

15. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Thanks Hollywoodpc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.