Firewall rules-Are Avast mail ports watch really proxies?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by act8192, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Not sure if to post here or in other virus apps. But it has to do with rules.

Avast does mail scanning.
    I read in various posts that the mailports Avast uses are proxy ports.
    I use my ISP mail over ports 25 and 110, mailsusing Outlook.
    I do see avast mailports in TCPview listening Local 127.0.0.1:12025 and 12110, but never a connection to the ISP mail servers.
    So, I do not see any evidence of proxy, am I misreading things?
    Kerio never asks for connection for ashMaiSv.
    Even if I force Outlook to port 12025, or 12110 but accept local host connections and permit ashMailSv to go to the ISP servers for mail, I see no evidence of anything Avast and Outlook fails then.
    It appears to me that Outlook just needs normal connection as I always had it.
    I really don't care much, but just wonder if those mail ports are really proxy as I see with port 12080 for the ashWebSv where ashWebSv really does connect to some website.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

They should be working the same for mail as the web scanner on 12080 does. But I'm not using Avast or a firewall, so I can't experiment and see what's going on for myself, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Does your loopback rule exclude 12025, 12110 and 12080?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

According to many posts, those mail ports are proxy.
    But I see nothing to convince me it's so.
    I think they're just localhost loopback and over to SYSTEM. Hmm, maybe that's the proxy part. I'm just trying to learn.

There's no question that the messages are scanned. Avast can put in notes into a sent or received message, and that I do see if so enabled.

Neither Kerio nor SSM made a peep about that mail thing connecting anywhere. Loopback should be ok. I do exclude the ports for all, but the applications which need it get'm back.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.