Firewall Resources

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rdsu, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

What firewall is lower on resources?

I use Outpost, but he takes some resources and my computer becames slow...

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Maybe i am totally wrong....but what if you do a connection test with your firewall off and with FW on. (connections/minute). Maybe it gives an idea.

Gerard

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Of the current firewalls, the ones that use the least amount of resources are Kerio 2x, and LnS to my knowledge. Both are more for advanced users. The rest of the firewalls that the majority uses are built for a friendly GUI interfact which will always take up tons of memory, like ZA for example, although it has a bunch of other features besides the firewall.

I suggest you just stay with what you can configure the best unless it really is causing problems with your system, most of the newer software firewalls are more like security suites with many extra features that cause more resources to be used.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The problem is that with the time, the OutPost became slowly on my system...

I installed it again, and now it's more quickly than before, but until when...!

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

LookNStop is well known for its low memory imprint ( 2Mb Virtual Memory on my system ) and is very stable.

Another firewall which is very stable and uses very few resources is Visnetic Firewall; http://www.deerfield.com/products/visnetic-firewall/

6. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

VAMP

You are running on 1.7ghz......there is no way any firewall should be causing a noticeable slowdown on your computer...no way!
    May I respectfully suggest you have another issue unrelated to your firewall.....an get some stuff out of "start-up"....things like your printer..M$ office...need not be in start-up....trim down some...see then what happens.
    When I use Kerio my reading match Blackcat's....when using LnS its near the same...Tiny alittle less....

7. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Guest

I used to work with OUTPOST Pro and I had the same issue, lot of cpu drainage. but when I disabled logging then the cpu is only 6mb and with logging enabled it is 13mb. to disable logging (dns cache still works) you have to go to your program files then agnitum and in this folder you have a dll named op_data.dll. that is your logging engine. when you change to .dll to whatever your logging is disabled.

A good firewall and practically never talked about is kaspersky firewall. I run it now and all is stealthed and only uses 5mb in mem.
    greetz

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Maybe I've some problems, but I always try to have my startup fast.
    I don't have useless programs on startup...

Could be a conflict with another program... I will try to find it...

9. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Vamp

Good to hear you keep the puter tidy.....am really concerned about you...this issue can't be doing your cpu any good....you should be putering along like you were riding the wind...thats a nice computer you have...
    Have you considered running your FileChecker to check for corrupt files?
    You can also drop into DOS and run scandisc...something just isn't right somewhere in that machine......I've experience something like you mentioned after a failed un-install of a program....other than that can't think of much else......good luck with this my friend.....wish I could have offered you more possibles.....

SnowGuy

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

TheSnowGuy,

I try to run the CHKDSK on the boot but it gives error on my 3 Partitions..

I boot again with the WinXP CD to enter on Repair option and only there I can run the CHKDSK and repair an error on C:.

Inside WinXP, on CMD, If I put the CHKDSK command, it said that don't recognize this command... also don't recognize IPCONFIG...
    I don't know how this happen...

My file system is NTFS...

11. norky

norky Registered Member

make sure you're in the ..Windows\system32 directory with the command prompt when trying to run ipconfig

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks, now it works on every place ;)

13. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

VAMP

Friend you don't need your XP disc......re-boot in Safe Mode...then just run Scandisc.........this way scandisc runs in DOS mode without any imput from you.....
    May I respectfull suggest that you not atempt any use of Command Line unless you are knowledgeable in the proper commands....can ruin a computer super quick otherwise.......
    An there is a way of running FileChecker without use of the Disc....can even run it in safe mode also......right about now it may be proper if I bowed to someone who has XP and knows about what I am speaking about..in regards to locating filechecker in XP by way of Explorer....I don't use XP...an would prefer that an experience User who does..advise you. Seems only right.

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

TheSnowGuy,

I know the commands, but I thought that if the scandisk doesn't work on windows startup, I've to boot with a cd...

I didn't know the tip of "norky"...

Tanks for your suggestions... ;)

We are always learning...

15. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

VAMP

You are most welcome. unfortunately I wasn't much help to you....wish I could have suggested more.
    ok, you seem to be ok now...is that correct? I hope so.

Yes, its a never-ending learning process....no one person can ever learn it all imo.....which is why its so nice that people can meet here and work as a team.....many here have helped me over the years....
    Well, good luck....safe surfing

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

TheSnowGuy ,

yap, now I'm ok, thanks ;)

17. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

The latest version of Outpost 2.1.303.4009 (314) is a CPU-pig on my system (yes, I have raised a bug with Agnitum about this) although my web browsing does go through 2 local proxies resulting in triple the traffic. Others have reported similar issues so it may not be a problem with your system itself.

You have not given any configuration details - I would suggest that if you have followed the instructions in the Secure Configuration guide (link will work when the forum is back up) disable the "Block Unused IP Protocols" global rule - as mentioned in the guide this does increase CPU utilisation considerably.

If you have not followed the guide then I would suggest either hanging on for the next version or installing an earlier one (links to previous builds are available in the Outpost Firewall FAQ forum).

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Paranoid2000,

I know this problem, and I spoke with the guy some time ago in the Outpost forum about this problem...

I've the default settings, but I only have enable the "Attack Dettection" and "DNS Cache" plugins...

I don't have "Block Unused IP Protocols" global rule in OutPost...

http://student.dei.uc.pt/~umbelino/lixo/outpost_rules.png

19. OPTIMIZER

OPTIMIZER Guest

me neither. and forum still down

20. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If you refer back to my post, I stated that *if* you followed the Secure Configuration guide, you may have this rule. If you have not, then you will not have it.

The only other suggestion I can make is to check your anti-virus scanner is excluding the Outpost log (try disabling the AV software to see if it makes any difference). I have noticed that some AV real-time scanners cause Outpost to use more CPU and I suspect this is due to the logfile which Outpost constantly writes to (possibly triggering multiple AV scans).

As for the Outpost forum itself, I'm afraid there is a database problem that is preventing the forum from being switched back on. This needs to be addressed by Agnitum staff since the forum administrators do not have server access. Unfortunately, since the first week and a half of May is a national holiday in Russia, this could mean having to wait until the 10th or 11th for a resolution.

Until then, please feel free to raise problems either here or at the Kill Spyware forums (where a lot of the other mods are hanging out). I regret the inconvenience (especially since official support is not available during the holiday period either) but it is out of our hands for now.

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Sorry... :)

Very well thought! ;)

Besides, now I don't problems, but I will exclude the Outpost log file on my AV...

22. hokhost

hokhost Registered Member

Try Kaspersky Anti Hacker 1.5, very light on ressource, start at 5Mo and use 800Ko after 10 mn of connection.

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will try it, hokhost... But no other Firewall have all the information and great GUI that Outpost have...

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will stay with Outpost... ;)

25. Lanw

Lanw Guest

Hi Paranoid2000

is it possible for you to post this guide ("Secure Configuration guide")somewhere or to sent it via mail or else ?

That would be great

THX
    LanW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.