firewall or SOFTWARE that protects against sniffer?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SnowFlakes, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

hi,
    is there a tool / software or firewall that protects 100% against Sniffer/Sniffing?

i am on a wireless network and i must have it open no wep/wpa, long story but i need a software/firewall that protects me against someone sniff my pc/router,
    i use win7

--- ANTI-SNIFFER ---

thanks

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

comodo ;)

3. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

comodo firewall
    or
    private firewall

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

As far as I know, sniffing is referred as listening to the internet traffic. When your on a wired network there has to be a physical intrusion or some software has managed to install on a PC.

Sniffing on a wireless network can't be prevented. Therefore all traffic is encrypted between router and the wireless card in your PC. Encryption with a 10-12 digit password phrase will make it difficult to crack the encryption code

On the internet there is http and https (secure). HTTPS is called secure because it is encrypted also, this helps to protect against sniffing (somewhere in the network) also.

A FW's primary function is to drop all irregular/unsollicitated/non-protocol packets. This means it keeps out messages from the network reaching your PC. Adding a sniffer like snort helps to find out any irregularities. This is because most intrusions have a certain pattern (e.g. for a key logger to have any effect, it has to send the data to some IP address on the internet to be used by someone else).

A Firewall will help prevent intruders entering in to your computer when the FW also has an HIPS element. On a wired PC, there needs to be some software installed to be 'sniffed'. This is where the HIPS of the FW helps to protect you. On a wireless network anyone can 'sniff' the traffic. A Firewall with HIPS can prevent your PC being 'sniffed' as you call it. But no software firewall can prevent the wireless network traffic being sniffed

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

+1

no need for useless tools in such cases

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yep, agreed. Without WPA2 or similar, I don't know how you can prevent wireless sniffing, unless you and others somehow encrypt locally everything that is broadcast on the wireless network.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You would need Tor, or a VPN.

8. SnowFlakes

so there is no way for me to protect against sniffer? :(

9. guest

guest Guest

10. SnowFlakes

I know that about TOR, but are you 100% sure that Comodo Trust Connect will protect me against sniffer in a OPEN wireless network?

thanks.

11. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

Yes. This a VPN network / connection run by COMODO. Please read the information on the link.

12. SnowFlakes

even if it is a VPN still it's not so secure, just read what comodo says> Comodo: We have logs of all system connections

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  13. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Logs concerns more Privacy than Security...
    Being naked in the jungle and looking for 100% security...let's be serious: you can't imagine the number of tools that provide ways to steal your cookies, logs ID/passwords, rediredirects your browsers etc...It's impossible from a host to control what happens on the network!
    But there is many countermeasures that helps in mitigating the risks.
    -system and browser hardening: firefox is well armored, especially with extensions like NoScript and Certifcate Patrol:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/certificate-patrol/
    -SSL VPN is necessary: No need to pay for Comodo as there is ways to use some service for free: http://dnslookup.me/free-vpn/
    AnchorFree is well known even with ADs (that can be easily stopped), and IPIG can also be mentioned: http://www.iopus.com/iPig/
    -safe practises: use Windows virtual keyboard (OSK.exe), do not let any session open (web mail for instance) remove cookies immediately after, use bookmarks instead of typing the address or following a link etc...

And of course, this question can't be solved and totally circumscribed by a few words...
    Rgds

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

15. SnowFlakes

hm, ok but here is a tricky question to all you that knows much about this,
    if let's say my brother has the software sniffer ON and the wireless is NO protection it's open wireless but i make it fast with wpa2 just for 30 minutes,

And then that software sniffer he is using and can see all what i am doing, then i typed password and WPA2, then can he see what i am doing on those 30 min or not after i made it as WPA2 secured ?

16. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Tor will encrypt your internet traffic and there will be nothing to sniff there but encryption. His brother will not know what websites he is going to..

17. caspian

If you use a VPN, anything that connects to the internet is encrypted, from your computer on out. There is nothing to sniff but encryption.

18. caspian

You can try Mullvad for free. https://mullvad.net/en/ And it you like it you can pay by the month, whenever you want. About $7 a month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.