Firewall or Packet Filter?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Megalomaniac, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megalomaniac

Megalomaniac Registered Member

Hello.
    I don't know if what I am looking for is a packet filter or a firewall, but I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.
    I want a soft which basically determines which program can make outbound connections, so that I don't have softs phoning home without my knowledge, etc.
    I don't need HIPs and all that other stuff.

Thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Youre looking for a software firewall.

3. Megalomaniac

Megalomaniac Registered Member

Ok, thanks!
    Would you be so kind as to recommend the lightest, simplest firewall able to accomplish this, control of outbound connections?
    Almost every soft these days are checking for updates; I just want my browser to go out and that's it.

EDIT: Duh. I see someone just asked the same question yesterday, with the title, "Outbound?".
    Thanks, WSFuser!

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

You are basically looking for an application firewall, rather than a rules based firewall. (where an application is allowed internet access with only one popup(or a split on outbound/inbound?), to allow or not?. Packet filtering should actually be done in both.

That thread refers to a user with a router, and given advice on possibly using an HIPS (which you prefer not to).

Are you behind a router?
    A firewall such as Jetico1 could, with some editing of rules, give you the application control, and packet filtering, with minimal system usage, and (with correct policy) minimal popups.

5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Look'n'Stop without the network filtering would provide what you want.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The firewall you can use depends on the O/S you are using. Not all of them are Vista compatible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.