Firewall of F-Secure IS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chimpsgotagun, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chimpsgotagun

chimpsgotagun Registered Member

I'd need a Firewall/AV combo for 3 machines running WinXP, Win7, and Win8 (besides linuxes..), and was wondering how's the firewall side of F-Secure (security, ligthness on resources, other considerations).

From F-Secure's site:
    I was planning to go with Comodo and Avast free version, but the dough required for F-Secure isn't much and there's the Web Shield issue with Comodo&Avast combo, so I was thinking that perhaps instead of mixing two different vendor's products I'd get F-Secure IS instead. I know their AV side is great, but how about the firewall?
    Using Windows' own firewall as a base, especially with WinXP on my mini notebook...
    Comodo would seem stronger, or would it?

2. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I am using the new F-Secure Internet Security 2013 that integrates with the Windows Firewall. It seems to be working fine. It still has many of the same protections as previous versions. I liked the F-Secure firewall but my guess is that they moved towards this more simplified model in order to coexist better with the Windows firewall to help prevent developmental conflicts with Windows 8 and future updates and releases of Windows. The only thing I found about the newer F-Secure is that while most of the time it's relatively light on resources I have noticed that on my eleven year old Windows XP Pro machine it slows down noticeably more than it did before with the previous version of F-Secure during updates and scheduled scans. This slowdown is especially apparent if the update or scan happens while actively using a browser. Using F-Secure 2013 still provides a performance improvement over most of the other available security suites I have tried. Also it's important to note that on that same machine I also have SAS Pro and MBAM Pro running with their real time engines enabled.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.