firewall light on memory

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by anita84, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anita84

anita84 Registered Member

which firewall is low on resources and memory ?

Kerio or outpost

i have only 256 MB ram p4 1.7ghz

kindly reply ?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Before users start to hop in with usual OT recommendations like Comodo and OA - are you referring to Kerio 2.1.5?
    If so, go with it, it's a perfect firewall for your hardware specs.

3. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

You can try COMODO Internet Security,tick only the firewall.As you can see,is very low memory footprint.Just a suggestion.
    Snap_2009.10.29 09.51.33_001.jpg
    cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe together about 7 megs.

4. bollity

bollity Registered Member

how can you live with 256 ram?

5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Comodo Firewall Only will do it, but better off with Windows Firewall. I wrote a script to port the port range into the firewall without entering and it can be lock/set only need to be ran once.

11 years old Toshiba Tecra 8000 Laptop - PII 266MHz, 256MB of SDRAM, 40GB HDD, 802.11n PCMICA, XP Pro SP3 an etc.. what you see in my sign is what's install on that girl! Except Office 2007 OpenOffice works excellent.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Why use something that was discontinued years ago, when for a couple meg more you can have something more up to date like Comodo?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. tipstir

It still works!

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thers a diff between an angry ex-employee and an angry ex-employee who has dirt on the company... :D and ther was both sides, Melih posted his version then Kevin posted his after and what do u know, the thread was locked, WHAT A SHOCKER...:rolleyes:

and as it said about BOClean being integrated in CIS by some unknown Chinese contractor so how much can we REALLY know about the other components... and since to integrate BOClean theyd need to have some access to the source code of CIS which doesnt really improve confidence knowing some random Chinese company has that kind of info...

10. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Yep. The Op asked about a memory light firewall.
    probably lots of choices.
    I say Kerio 2.1.5.
    Comodo is Comodo,and its defenders are who they are.

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

LOL cuz first Dell has NOTHING to do with security software...

well with all this CONTINUED negative findings about comodo are the chances really THAT high that everyone is just lying no matter all the other trust issues comodo has? how come these controversies dont happen to NEARLY as many other vendors? it cant just be a fluke that Comodo gets all this negative attention... anyways im gunna go back on topic,

so if u can get past the "issues" with trust on comodo, it does use very little memory :)

12. tipstir

Those are old software, Windows Firewall blocks all ports except those under the exception. Finally got it work with my media streaming server thus using less RAM Comodo was spiking the CPU at odd times know issue with Comodo. What firewall doesn't catch the RAV MB won't let anything in, which is good.
    Lighter is better in any case and if you're not behind a router then use Comodo, if your behind a router then Window Firewall.

13. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

ummm.....the topic i think is "firewall light on memory" not firewall co. light/tight on morality/legality

14. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I know the answer, but it's irrelevant here. And was already mentioned by tipstir.

The OP asked to recommend between the 2 (IMO) evils, I chose the less. I could've gone by the usual Wilders formula though, recommending a software that I currently endorse. But if we all did that, then we would have a confusion.
    I am just tired of seeing every damn firewall thread ending with a discussion on various Comodo issues and was really hoping that this one can be spared. Apparently not.

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not really, and how many times does this need to be posted? Generally fired employees do not have good things to say about their past employers. BIG SURPRISE! lol And even if some of the dirt is true, it does not change the fact that Comodo FW is one of the best firewalls, not to mention free. I guess I may be more worried if it were a paid product. Also, I suspect a lot of the malware companies(like all companies) reverse engineer, and copy each others products. Sure doesn't make it right, but I noticed a lot of AVs/Firewall "share" the same features.

Back to the original topic. Maybe I need to try Kerio again. I just don't remember seeing enough savings in terms of "lightness" that would warrant using it over something that I suspect is superior.

Comodo uses between 4-10 meg on my PC. How light is Kerio that it is worth using, when development was discontinued a few years ago. And why was development discontinued in the first place if it is so great?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  16. anita84

anita84 Registered Member

I tried comodo security but antivirus is not getting updated it stucks at 30%

17. clocks

clocks Registered Member

It always does this on the first update, and then after about 10minutes it finishes. Later updates only take seconds. A lot of people don't use their AV anyway, and just use the firewall part.

18. risl

risl Registered Member

And it closes the port when the service / application isn't active anymore.

19. risl

risl Registered Member

Despite the program is free and has nice features, illegal actions from comodo should not be accepted.

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Fine, prove illegal actions. Just about every fired employee I have known has trashed their former company. Time will tell.

21. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I used all the free one's on the market and they all seem pretty good with the exception of 1 or 2. I'm using Outpost Free and I think it's extremely light. It might use a bit more memory than the others but cpu wise it's as light as a feather. I have it running on my XP Pro and Vista Home computers.

Ice

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I look forward to trying Outpost free again, but it is not Win7 compatible. Hopefully soon! :thumb:

23. risl

risl Registered Member

Explained on the other thread at av-section.

24. tipstir

Well yes I am behind a router - If travel I'll use Comodo Firewall Only since Armor2NET just as good but not supported anymore FPS on it's Spyware Blocker. Windows Firewall is tighten, GP/LSP tighten with SRP and RAV Free setup to catch anything else and auto scans for Malware everyday. On low systems with memory Comodo uses a good chunk of it. Even on 512MB shows only 160MB free with Comodo Firewall Only (using WF 256MB free) not the entire suite though when I remove Comodo looks like the entire suite gets loaded on under Revo Uninstaller. Still that software when you remove it always tries to load whatever browser to call back to Comodo so you can buy Pro. I just block that action.

I know all you have your reasons but got router most now have so much extra firewalls instead of the default NAT. Those that run PSense don't even both with software firewall. Still I guess everyone here going to have his or her own method of defense measures setup and protect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.