Firewall leaktests

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Peter2150, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Lest anyone misconstrue my comments about leak test on firewalls, I totally agree with all said here about the need to protect one's computer, more for the value of the computer to someone than the data.

Also for the record let me say the reason I don't worry as much about the leak test of firewalls is I use other tools to prevent outbound stuff, so in essence I am leak proofing the total system, not just the firewall.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Peter, that's it, we agree. You don't need a FW to do that.
    Personally i like to have that little edge on the FW also. Doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you do understand what leaktests really are, and how to counter them (or block them). Not the specific leaktest, but what it stands for.
    You know, we just missed each other.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I Never said He Didnt, I just Happened to mention my personal Opinion on the Matter :cautious:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Outpost & Comodo :p OH MY ***** GOD!!!! 2 of the WORST Firewall Software Programs to grace the Internet, Both can be shut down in a Second by Nothing Less than a Runtime C++ Script :shifty:

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

In reality, your All out of your Bloody Minds! if you think a Firewall is going to serve any purpose by protecting you. The Highest Most Expensive 1 Billion Bit Encryption can be cracked anytime anyplace anywhere :cautious: So dont think a $30 Software is going to save you, because its NOT!! Like I said before, Leaktests are Bullshit! an AntiVirus will do a fine job of stopping Nasties, as will a good AS, but as for a Firewall,:cautious: The Day you can Block access to every entry point on a PC, is the Day you use a PC with No Internet :shifty:

Oh and as for stealing my Credit Card Number :cautious: Go Ahead, I have 36 of them so take your pick :p

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Billys Dad doesnt buy Clothes :cautious: He wears a Brown paper Bag and a Newspaper for a Hat :p

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Furthermore. just as a Matter of Interest if you really need to spend $$$ of Firewalls Instead of Buying Software, invest in SoHo Hardware here is a Full List of the Best Around: :ninja:
    Welcome to the Hardware Firewall Security Guide - Chapter - SoHo Hardware Firewalls:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    DVD, I think you're getting upset over nothing.
    Really wanna make the game boring and irrelevant - can you guess the answer? Begins with Lin ends with ooks.
    Mrk

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Upset :p Dont Be Ridiculous, I'd Have to Care to Get Upset :p

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You didn't get it.

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Who didnt get what o_O

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It appears this thread is starting to digress a little too much.

Please keep on topic.

13. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

XP only needs the sp2 firewall.
    You don't need a router or a hardware firewall. I have never used them.
    As for leaktests they are no good anyways.

A software firewall and a hips, see my signature, are of good to use when taking a new computer in use. Sometimes there comes programs installed that take contact to internet. Almost none are bad, but unnecessary to run. You can use something like CCleaner to stop them from starting. So in that way the software firewall and a hips are preferred over plain router/XP SP2 firewall. But no more than that.

There are free tools too like Process Explorer and TCPView to be downloaded and run. To see what is running on your system and to see what programs connect out if you dont have an outbound controlling software firewall.
    And last but not least I have also my cable modem that blinks when I have traffic in internet. A firewall like good old Sygate is also able to do that.

More important is to a software firewall to have ability to control your internet connections than its ability to pass leaktests. To have a good loggings.
    Sure you can all dream and get as much paranoid as you want to feel as a security expert. To feel that you need to answer every single popup just right.

This post was not intended to people who download illegal warez games/programs but to safe surfers.

Jarmo

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  14. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi ErikAlbert,

In answer to your question (I have only read this thread up to your comment and am working my way forward), if something passes through your firewall, it will only cause a change to your hard disk if and only if the hard disk is not protected or isolated in some way, e.g. running a Live CD in memory with your hard disks unmounted would not expose your hard disks.

This is precisely how I access the Internet, so that my disks are not mounted when I connect to the Internet. So what if something gets past my very restricted firewall (iptables/Linux), then it only infects memory and gets wiped when I shutdown my system.

-- Tom

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.