Firewall in 3.0

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by stride000, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ iamnomad,

As this is the a Nod32 support forum I have moved your Comodo Firewall question to our firewall forum. Please follow the below link for that discussion.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162462
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

As a reminder to All:

This is a Nod32 Support Forum....so We ask that you take any other product discussion to one of our more appropriate forums Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

A "Firewall' can take the apperance of many different faces.:)

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You need to keep "something" on your system...I'd not wait for version 3...could very well be a year or more until it's out. Personally I can't stand ZA, I'd format my PC if that got near it, but that's just a preference...Comodo is my preference if I want a software firewall on a system.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I think it should be out much earlier than you expect

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2007
  5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm confused. I thought that version 3 will be an upgrade to NOD32 AV, and the long awaited firewall will be included in a suite, that is seperate from the stand alone version 3. Does anyone have the straight scoop?:)

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

We know there will be a stand-alone AV and a suite.
    Pricing & stuff is still unknown, unless someone got other info.

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

perhaps I'll find out something at RSA Conference Expo next week..?!? ;)

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't forget to inform us about your findings :D :thumb:

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Brian N, Thanks for the info. :D

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Down the road, Comodo and NOD32 may be all you need. The next version of the Comodo Firewall due out in 2007 is supposed to:

1. Pass all leak tests
    2. Have full HIPS
    3. Have a sandbox

If they do a good job with all of that (which is a HUGE undertaking), then you combine that product with NOD32 and you are pretty set.

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Some of ESET's sales, marketing and research employees will be at RSA Conference in San Francisco next week, but I think it will just be the standard ESET booth and presentations.

Traditionally, ESET has made product announcements at CeBIT, which occurs in Hamburg in March, although I don't know if there will be any announcements this year.

Right now, the main emphasis is being placed on NOD32 v2.70 with support for Microsoft Windows Vista and its new anti-rootkit technology.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I thought just occured to me. :blink: Just as ZA included KAV AV in their suite, why couldn't Eset include Comodo in their suite? o_O

13. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Comodo has a different code base?
    Tricky:eek:
    And by Eset standards it would be bloated.
    :D

14. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Comodo is heavy on everything. It slows down your browsing, it takes too much system recourses. It just wouldn't be a good choice.
    It's a good firewall, don't get me wrong, but since ESET is known to produce light-weight products it would be a bad software to implement in their suite. I hope they make their own firewall.

15. Anti_Virus

Anti_Virus Registered Member

I think every company should stay with the field they are expert in. No need to talk about sucking examples of BitDefender Built-in Firewall, Antivir Built-in Firewall,Zone Alarm Antivirus or Kaspersky Antihacker. They all failed failed and many people shift to one type product accoringly.

If we are to talk about marketing strategy, the decision of NOD32 to create a firewall is questionable again. As a user, I really love NOD32 antivirus and use it on my sistem. But I won't think the same way when I am offered a built-in firewall. Not only because I am fully satisfied with my Sygate PFW, but also because I would never consider being one of the first bug-victims.

NOD32 is expert on viruses, no need to force themselves and endanger their respectable role in the whole market of security.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Anti Virus, I agree 100%. I came to find out over time that stand alones are the best way to go. I went on about this in an earlier post so I won't elaborate. I think that Eset should make a firewall, but not in a suite. I know they would make a good one. :)

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I ran Jetico with NOD32 for a while and things went pretty smoothly. Jetico is an exceptional firewall if a person has the patience and time to configure it properly. Plus it is situated from a marketing standpoint as a perfect takeover or OEM. With a little tweaking to the Jetico GUI, giving it more eye-appeal, the firewall would be pretty marketable.

For version 3.0 I would hope NOD32 at least makes some different skins available...anything besides the putrid green. I think ESET is #1 in developing an AV but pretty poor in marketing. Actually, for the high quality of the AV I would not be surprised if the ESET brand were not the worst rated marketing scheme of any AV product.

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I think quite the opposite. ESET´s marketing is very good. Which other AV developed by a small company has the recognition and brand-name of NOD 32?
    In my country, NOD 32 is one of the most pirated software.

19. henryg

henryg Registered Member

If ESET can make NOD32 to be an expert on viruses....why not make a firewall that is an expert on security. I'm very certain that the great minds at ESET can produce a firewall that can be as good as their outstanding anti-virus. Just my 2cents. :)

20. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Wekk, it's not impossible, but nobody has done it yet. Look at all the other AV companies that tried to make a firewall or firewall companies that tried to make an AV. Nobody got it right.

So the odds are thet ESET won't either. They could certainly do it. So could Comodo. So could anyone. I just happen to think the odds are slim.

21. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I juat recently installed Comodo as I anxiously await The new security suite form NOD32. I think I will be waiting for quite a while. Comodo does not slow down anything & is very light on my computer. It works great. That being said I see no reason why Eset cannot make a Very good firewall. I suppose that one can make the argument that if what they release is only as good as your average firewall why bother. There are plenty of fire walls that work flawlessly with NoD32 2.7. Very likely when the Suite does come to market( if ever) it will just as good as the AntiVirus. It appears to me that outside of a few knowledgeable individuals no one knows who NOD32 is in the USA. I have never seen the antivirus product that they offer ever for sale in a retail store in the USA. I have no information on their sales in the rest of the world.. But the product seems to be well known outside the USA. By the way I used to use Sygate Pro but not anymore it is now completely unsupported & has a huge flaw in its security. If you gave internet server access to a Proxy anything could use it. In my experience Hackers just probed till they found an open port & then jumped on your proxy. Sygate died off before they ever fixed this & this flaw was well known on the internet. I suspect its popularity today is due to its being freely available on the internet even after Norton purchased the company. If you do use this firewall make sure you keep the security at ASK.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would think their firewall may incorporate some of the best of everything.:cool:

23. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Being a product manager and marketer, having worked with both startups and global corporations, I can tell you that NOD32 is not a well marketed product. It may be known in certain geographies, but that does not mean it is well marketed.

I'd assume, unless the devs at Eset have been coding with bags over their heads, that the firewall will be comparable to other offerings.

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IMHO, the main problem with ESET (and other small players) is the lack of funds to make deals with OEMs/SIs and fill retail stores with hundreds of copies.
    IMHO:
    - Big players: Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro, CA.
    - Mid-sized players: Panda, KAV (one of the most OEM´ed engine), Sophos, F-Secure (?)
    - Small players: the rest.

25. gamersmile

gamersmile Registered Member

Very interesting rankings in terms of BIG NAME corporates.
    Yet from the perspective of an ordinary user with some security know-hows, BIG NAME corporates are not synonymous with good security solution provider.

As many of the posters agreed, traditional antivirus software and firewall are getting bloated in recent years. On the way to offer all-in-one solution, they are actually offering more and more wasted resource-devouring functions in their package.

Perhaps NOD32 is a small name in USA, compare with Symantec and McAfee. But I think it's on the ascending-track in China. I happen to know someone who works for ESET rep office in eastern China region. He told me that NOD32 is getting more and more popular in Shanghai, Zhejiang and Jiangsu (those coastal regions are relatively affluent), while the sales of Kaspersky Personal is declining due to lack of efficient control of distribution channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.