Firewall hits with BitTorrent installed

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mvdu, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Hi,

I was using BitTorrent, but even after I close the program and closing the DNA process, I continue to get hits on mainly ports 49648 and 50347. Is this normal? I have a router, but with no port forwarding. I'm thinking of uninstalling BitTorrent if I can't find a harmless reason for this.

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole Registered Member

They that sow so shall they reap mvdu.

I heartily suggest you remove any Torrent software as it can cause you nothing but problems.

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

But how do you explain these hits I'm still getting? Is it normal with the software, or could there be an infection?

4. Wolfeymole

I cannot advise further on torrent software I'm afraid as it can and is predominantly used for illegal purposes.

This is not to suggest you utilise the medium for such practices.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Bittorrent is a very good way to distribute files, mvdu hasn't mentioned any 'illegal purposes'

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

You don't know how I'm using it. Why come in the thread just to give a morality lesson? I have a legit question here.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

And also, I ALWAYS buy music. When I do download stuff to try out, I delete it after listening.

8. Wolfeymole

I am not suggesting mvdu has Meriadoc and I'm not casting aspersions but it has to be acknowledged that P2P can create problems that may be thought of as an otherwise aspect.

9. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

Simple reason for what you see -
    It is normal. When you use a torrent, the connection with server(s) adds your ISP number to the current list of online seeders/leechers.
    Until all servers detect you are offline due to some timelimit of no access or keep-alive feedback, software on a number of other user machines will be sending a request to you, and your firewall will react because the torrent is no longer running on your machine.

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Let us stay on topic.

As mentioned by gb63, what you are seeing is other users of the torrent still attempting to connect in.
    It is one reason to allow outbound ICMP destination/port unreachable.

- Stem

11. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks, gb63 and Stem! I won't worry, then. How long does it take for the hits to go away?

12. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

yeah like gb63 said, it's normal - even after you close your torrent client you'll still see incoming and outgoing connections related to your torrenting - it eventually stops, but if you want it to stop immediately after you're done torrenting, reboot your computer. i assume you're using peer-guardian or another blocklist?

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

They're called ghost packets, and usually they stop after about an hour at most.

14. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm seeing blocked packets continue to come in according to the Outpost Packet log, but nothing really blocked in the Firewall log. These packets still come in long after the program has been closed - I don't think they have stopped, in fact.

I do use Peer Guardian even though I'm not a big downloader or sharer.

15. gb63

gb63 Registered Member

With some torrent clients when you think you are exiting, they drop to the taskbar and remain running. You may also check the Task Manager to see if the process is indeed dead.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

uTorrent as a matter of fact does just that. You won't likely get any blocks unless the IP is in Peerguardians blocklist. I deal with this all the time with Emule and uTorrent, I'm sure you're just fine. Post back though if it hasn't stopped at all or at least slowed, or if another problem shows up.

Edit: I noticed it's been about 5 hours from your original post until your last. Stem would know much better than me, but that doesn't seem right. My packets quit after about an hour, sooner if I reboot. Try rebooting and see what happens, ok?

17. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'll try rebooting again, but it didn't help before. Maybe Stem can explain why I'm still getting packets even though the program isn't loaded at all.

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The other clients on the torrent will still have your IP from when you where connected, so they will still attempt to connect in. I do not know how the different clients store the info for other clients, but they may still attempt to connected in until the client is closed or they have finished the download, which ever comes first.

Dont worry about it, the inbound will stop eventually.

- Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.