firewall for wireless laptopn

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by riechert, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riechert

riechert Registered Member

I'm looking for a (preferably) free and easy to use firewall software recommendation for a wireless laptop.

I sent my daughter off to school with a freshly loaded, fully updated XP with AVG AV and free ZoneAlarm laptop. Once I configured it, it worked fine on my wireless router at home. I used the wireless to download numerous updates, AVG and such so I know it works.

But she's unable to access the internet on any of the networks she's tried. She's been in several locations with excellent signal strength and the wireless connects but no actual internet access. I suspect that ZAF is the culprit because I did have to do some manual configuration. I just saw that the product comparison on ZL's web site shows that ZAF doesn't provide wireless PC protection, only their various pay products. Apparently ZAF also adds new networks to the trusted zone by default which doesn't seem too smart for a security product. The pay products have a popup for new networks and ask which zone to add them to. While it appears that ZAF will work, it requires manual configuration for each network.

She's not technically inclined at all so something that prompts her for programs (ala ZAF) and also new networks would be ideal. Specific rules editing should be at a minimum if at all. Easy of installation and configuration is a must since I'm doing this long distance.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Prevx1 would probably be ideal. For extra peace of mind use with AVG and leave Windows FW on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.