Firewall for Notebooks

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lekei, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lekei

lekei Registered Member

I am looking for a lightweight firewall for portable computers. The biggest issues that I am trying to find solutions for are:

Most of the big-name firewalls are such resource hogs that they have almost as much an effect on performance as half of the threats they are designed to keep out.

Your wireless or wired connection could be connected to a trusted (your network), relatively-untrusted (Internet cafe or client's office where you still need access to the printer or even a file server), or seriously dirty (random access point, cable-modem-under-test, dial-up) network at any time. In many cases, the IP range of these networks could be the same. Most firewalls determine the zone by IP, not SSID+BSSID, MAC address or network/computer name.

I often go to clients (home/SOHO users) and find that they are thinking XP "firewall" will protect them, yet they have networking enabled on their wireless because they need to print or access files at home.

Many people with Windows 9x/2000 machines don't run a firewall because they can't handle the resource (I have seen it use 50 MB RAM!) overhead of products like Zone Alarm.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The lowest firewall in resources that I know is NetVeda Safety.Net, but I use Outpost Pro... ;)

3. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

Kerio 4.1.3 is a good alternative.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Kerio 4.1.3 isn't light on resources...

5. keriothebest

keriothebest Guest

Kerio is better than outpost if you compare the resource usage and internet surf speed. I am an old outpost user. I prefer to test it.

6. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

I agree. I am old user of agnitum too. :)

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Did you tried the last version?

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5
    LNS

9. keriothebest

keriothebest Guest

Yes I tested. And I'm happy with Kerio 4.1.3 much more...

10. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

In the mean time you have been trying to convince us to use Kerio...

Do you care to share why you think kerio is better? Cause I think this is a better conversation as to only stating it is better?...

:)

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OK, different systems... ;)

On my system, Outpost Pro use less resources than Kerio...

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me outpost doesnt seems to use many resources (at the very not that i can notice) and disabling logging lowers the resources even more. in any case for a lightweight fw i recommend look 'n' stop, i havent ever used a firewall as light as it. of course this tradeoff comes in the case of friendliness and the learning curve for rule creation and placement.

13. keriotb

keriotb Guest

By the way, I'm not a kerio salesman :)
    But you must test your firewall on a few crowded web sites (a lot of images and scripts -for example; internet markets-). Web surfing speed is dramatically different with kerio and outpost. only memory usage isn't interesting. CPU usage and web surfing speed are more important for me. Because of these reasons, I prefer kerio instead of outpost. (sorry my english, i hope that you can understand me)

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I would like to see these tests... ;)

15. Infinity

Tests are difficult my friend. The way I see it is again it comes down to user experience. it's his experience and feeling that the Firewall is faster...

That doesn't mean it is for you or for me...
    The one thing I can say is that I felt some differences too in Firewall Usage...but I cannot proof it...

it's all relative and personal and therefor would not apply to all of us...

Stating that Kerio is the best is useless and can only confuse people whether it is for the difficulty of rule creation whether it is for the lack of decent logging system :D

Personaly I tried Kerio a lot of times and I like the program. but it's personal ... so I choose another one lol :rolleyes:

16. ktb

ktb Guest

Yes, I can show an example to you. But, do you know Turkish? :)
    http://www.hepsiburada.com/
    - first; click the five or six headers (bilgisayar, ofis kirtasiye etc....)
    - second; click again same headers.
    - consider the web page display time.
    after, disable outpost, and restart this test. Please, look the difference.
    What did you see? :) (don't ask me the mean of words :))
    Regards.

17. Infinity

LMAO, like I said: it difficult alright :D

18. WSFuser

like infinity said, these "test results" are just personal experience. for me visiting that site didnt rele matter with the firewall off or on. maybe its because i have dsl or maybe its just my outpost config.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  19. Infinity

maybe you have a rootkit :D

20. ktb

ktb Guest

Yes, BUT everbody talks about their personal experience. but, a lot of people may have same experience with me. it's a probability. i'll be very glad if there is a public and thrusworhty firewall performance test results in internet.
    Regards.

21. Infinity

there was some time ago...no there was not lol those were browsers but then again it depends...

should be some mathematic formula by now ;)

22. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Easy enough to toggle exceptions on/off with the Windows Firewall to accommodate different situations.

Regards,

CrazyM

23. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Outpost user as well and it does slow down surfing at times. May be because of the plugin's? Am using Tiny 6.5 on my laptop now and surprisingly, it is good to surf despite the memory usage. Had my doubts initially 'bout Tiny on a laptop.

24. WSFuser

well i only have the attack detection plugin enabled, could that be why i dont seem to feel any slowdown?

25. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Lekei,

I'm not aware of any firewall that takes notice of wireless network SSIDs - nor would the feature be especially secure since it can be easily changed and many public access networks just use the default value. Instead, creating (and loading) separate firewall rules configurations for home, business and public use may be a better option - most firewalls will allow you to do this so you should not be unduly restricted in what to choose.

MAC address filtering is another method but Sygate, Outpost (via the third-party SuperStealth plugin) and Look'n'Stop are the only ones that spring to mind as offering this (LnS would probably be the best choice if low resource usage is a priority over fine-grained application control).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.