Firewall & downloads

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by r00t, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r00t

r00t Registered Member

Dose anyone here notice a drop in download speed whiel using ZoneAlarm? I'm on a 1mb ADSL line with wireless modem and my download speeds are verry poor. I only get like 30-50k/s when I used be getting at least 100k/s. can anyone recommend a filewall that will not do anythign to my download speeds?

Mt friend has got the same setup as me minus ZA and his downloads are not as slow as mine, I think it must be a software problem?

2. Gizmo151

Gizmo151 Guest

I've found no cost in speed by using Kerio 2.1.5.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I agree, kerio 2.1.5 is a very good firewall. Very low on sys resources.

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Shutdown ZA and retest your download speed.

5. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

ZA uses your system for contacting its servers I believe (Google Gropups search for - [GLOW=""]iamdb.rdb True vector zone alarm CEO[/GLOW])
    Anyway, Kerio is very light, and if u wanna go lighter (and don't need very advanced protection) there's Armor2net and another firewall on download.com's recommended list - enigma firewall, i think - its free and light

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Guest

Maybe try an older version of ZA? I've been playing with version 2.6 here today and it seems pretty light and clean. Might be worth a try...

http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

7. no13

If you're saying this abt. the firewall being lighter, I'd recommend BlackICE's new version - takes some getting used to, but its nice.
    If you're referring to the point I've made earlier, ALL ZA versions do that. No stopping that.

8. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I agree bigc. I'm a formor zonealarm user. I find kerio 2.15 very low on system resources. I can't say the same about zonealarm on my particular computer.

9. Jzkruzzn

Jzkruzzn Guest

Used ZA long ago, got one now, it blocks all downloads and does all things but job! Busy doin somthing but what? Wast e all night allla the time, kerio sounds mor speed for me. Thanks

10. no13

you'll like kerio v4 (it gets a little heavy when you go to config. screen - otherwise its perfectly fine)
    Also, kerio 2 has not got automatic application control... you need to create rules by hand, or answer to a prompt (which can create a rule for you)....kerio v4 is slighty better, as the advanced features can be used for 30 days as trial. Note that kerio 2 is free but hasn't got the advanced features. Once you have understood kerio, I recommend searching for a pre-made configuration...
    here are some links....
    http://forums.kerio.com/index.php
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/kerio
    You'll get additional support there
    I've tried to set up a Kerio thread here (if not a separate forum)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49540

Have fun.

11. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

You should realize that most Kerio users still use 2x. The reason is 4x is bloated buggy beta software, and they still haven't completey fixed a serious logging issue which was reported during the original beta stages. Kerio has even given me a registration key for my testing of 4x, and I still don't really recommend it.

12. no13

o-^ I think Kerio's great (v4.0.16)... haven't had many bugs... dunno about logging issue tho'. Anyway, if anyone wants alternatives, they could be....
    Sygate ----------> pop
    Outpost ----------> pop
    Look n Stop ----------> new fad
    the ever popular Norton and McAfee firewalls
    ETrust EZ Firewall(basically, same as ZA, just 1 release behind)
    Armor2net ----------> I like it and its very simple to use, tho' not very customizable
    Jetico ----------> new fad, still BETA
    Enigma ----------> popular on http://www.download.com
    there are many others firewalls, but I believe that these have most support on forums

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.