Firewall dilemma

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mvdu, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

This is getting interesting! There are old problems in the NIS IDS component, still unfixed (apparently) according to a current thread at DSLR security. (A bit surprising, since I would expect better of the Raptor technology upon which the NIS IDS component is supposedly based). And, in another thread here in the Wilders forum, BlitzenZeus just chimed in and said the KPF 4.x invocation of Snort as an IDS is terrible! (He oughta know!) Specifically, it appears that in KPF 4.x, the user can't customize the IDS signatures in any manner, whereas as CrazyM just noted in the DSLR thread, it's at least possible (in NIS 2003) to exclude questionable signatures.

2. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'd rather NIS fix them than me exclude them, though.

Comments in this link are holding me back from using NIS. I think the poster Wulfman has a legitimate complaint.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?s=36a8a61bf55bacc440d59e74ffd17403&threadid=6695&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

What do you think?

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm trying Kerio 4.0.7 right now, and the IDS looks good - though I'd rather you be able to exclude signitures rather than type of intrusion. I like the firewall and will try it for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.