firewall change,need advice

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cet, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, all the truly light ones are more or less rule based/oriented, Kerio 2, Jetico, LnS, Filseclab, etc. If you can still find one of the super old ZoneAlarm releases, I'm thinking v 2.xx, that's pretty light, but with a typical GUI. But it IS very very old... :)

2. cet

cet Registered Member

Why doesn't anyone advice PC tools firewall.It may be light and easy to use.

3. cet

cet Registered Member

Ok thanks for all.I will use kerio 2.1.5 for some time and then I may try PC tools firewall.

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Why not just try it yourself instead of letting us advise you :D

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Go to the users page, sign in and re-install it following the instructions. What were you thinking? :blink:

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Maybe looking for a less bloated product o_O :D

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OA bloated? I think not. :eek:

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

is on my system it don't play nice with games at all it seems to want 30% of the CPU at all times when in a game. Hell ZoneAlarm works better then that pos :rolleyes:

9. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

I'm running OA AV+ along with Firefox 3 (16 open tabs) and Thunderbird 2.xx (five accounts), plus Skype, Google desktop, and about ten Thinkpad-related services/processes; 55 processes in all.

oasrv.exe is using 8243 Kilobytes of memory
    oaui.exe is using 7912 KB "
    one ScanningProcesse.exe uses 576 KB
    second ScanningProcess.exe uses 560 KB

If that's "bloated", I'm Tiger Woods.

For a combined HIPS/firewall/and antivirus (w/ Kaspersky engine and patterns) suite, it uses about what Jetico v. 1 alone uses on this machine.

Sam Spade

beta-testing OA AV+ on Thinkpad T60p @ 2 ghz w/ 2 GB RAM; XP Pro SP3

|||

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  10. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Bloated has hardly anything to do with memory. its how light it runs on the system resources or how much it takes up CPU time and on a gaming computer it better not be much time at all. sorry but its still bloated when it comes to the CPU and how much system time it hogs. :doubt: Also Firefox with 16 tabs open should be running around 150 megs of memory if not more. lol :argh:

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I would add rising Free FireWall to the light footed firewalls (seen its blue tiger logo: the blue footed tiger would be more apropriate), this one is updated uses few CPU cycles and 6MB of RAM

12. SamSpade

There's a right-click option from the tray icon that allows you to turn off the HIPS features in OA. I don't do gaming, but if I did, that's what I would do.

There are so many adjustments available to OA that one can mobilize a wide variety of resources, or very few. It's all up to how you set up the application. If you want it running light, you can do that. Disabling the HIPS would be one big step.

My Ffox right now is using 91 MB of memory w 18 tabs open. My CPU is running at 0 to 4% right now. I won't say OA runs as light as Jetico, but I will say that OA has much better control over what happens to my computer re code and the processes running under that code than Jetico.

Sam Spade

13. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Or you Just simply find a better product. that does the same thing and uses less resources. problem solved.

14. SamSpade

To each his own. I've used a lot of different FW/HIPS/AV/AS apps and suites over the years, and for what it does relative to resource usage I rate OA very highly.

Cheers,

Sam Spade

|||

15. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I agree. I don't understand why people only mention RAM when they judge a program, even though, RAM is nowdays much cheaper to get than CPU.

I can say the same for OA free CPU Time and p2p (specially emule). There are worse firewalls out there in cpu usage, but there are also quite a few that handle the situation better (including Comodo and i say that despite i have criticized Comodo a lot). I am hoping for a next OA version that will decrease CPU time under p2p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.