Firewall causing network adapter to be disabled

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by gakenny, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gakenny

gakenny Registered Member

Hello,

I have been running the latest version of Eset Smart Security as a trial for the past number of weeks. However, I encountered an intermittent issue in the latest build that has now become permenant and renders the firewall useless.

Once the application is installed, I can see my network adapter enabled under Network Connections (Windows XP SP2). However, typing IPCONFIG at the command prompt, no devices are listed. I can no longer access any network or Internet resources. If I go into the properties of the network adapter and uncheck Eset Personal Firewall and apply the change, the window freezes and I must hard reset my computer. However on reboot, the setting is still uncheck and I can now access network and Internet resources as per usual. Reversing the process does not resolve the issue and it reoccurs.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application and the issue immediately occurs once the computer is restarted. I suspect that the Eset Personal Firewall driver is corrupted and it is not uninstalled or reinstalled completely with the application.

Are there some steps to follow that will allow me to manually remove all traces of the application to reinstall from scratch? This does not occur on my other two computers.

Kind regards,

Gary

2. gakenny

Hello,

I *appear* to have found the cause of this issue. I have uninstalled the SonicWALL Global VPN Client and this seems to have resolved the issue that I was experiencing. Does anyone no of any conflict between the Eset Personal Firewall (installed with Eset Smart Security) and this GVC?

Cheers,

Gary

3. mattb

mattb Registered Member

Hi, did you resolve this. I'm having the same problem. I used system restore to get back to before I had installed the Sonic Wall VPN Client.

I need a long term solution though.

Thanks Matt

4. gakenny

Hi Matt,

I uninstalled the SonicWALL VPN client and installed the new version 4 client and this seemed to resolve the issue for me. I do disable the firewall in ESS before enabling the connection because I am presently using automatic mode but I guess this will not be necessary once I configure the relevant rules.

What version of GVC are you running and were your symptoms the same as mine? You may try unticking the checkbox associated with Eset Firewall on the SonicWALL Virtual Adapter properties.

Cheers,

Gary

5. mattb

mattb Registered Member

Hi Gary,

I was using GVC version 3.1.0.556. I think the problem was related to the Eset Personal Firewall Miniport which was installed when I installed GVC.

It completely disabled my Network Access. When I did ipconfig no details were displayed and I had alot of trouble accessing my Network Connection Properties. I first tried reinstalling GVC and running it with Eset Firewall disabled, I then tried disabling GVC but to no effect.

As suggested I managed to find a download for version 4. All ok now.

Thanks for your help.
    :)
    Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.