Firewall bypass vunerability

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by timnicebutdim, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Registered Member

2. TDI

TDI Guest

Seeing that the test was done on a 2003 server and XP SP1, there is no room for comparison. I see that some of the test were old and some of this year. Do you allow vbs scripts to run on your system?

3. Lowen

Lowen Guest

Seeing that the test was done on a 2003 server and XP SP1, there is no room for comparison. I see that some of the test were old and some of this year. Do you allow vbs scripts to run on your system? Have the other vendors been notified of the supposive flaws?

4. timnicebutdim

timnicebutdim Registered Member

Its just something i can accross... i didnt realise it was a test on a 2003 server with xp1.
    As far as vbs scripts... not sure if i run them or not.

The reason for posting is that i am looking into getting a new firewall and it got my attention that zone alarm had fixed this problem where i got the impression from the link that the others may not have fixed it.
    So i was looking to see if the others had fixed it also, if anyone knew... that way i can get an idea what different companies respond to vunerabilitys and it helps me decide which new firewall i should go with.

5. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

This is why you password protect your configuration, and then there is no way a program could do this for new programs that wouldn't be blocked by default.

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This "vulnerability" is an abuse of Windows scripting rather than a firewall loophole and is discussed in the Multiple Firewall Products Bypass Vulnerability thread. The best counter is to disable Windows scripting (and that thread suggests a few methods of doing this).

Ultimately, any firewall needs to be configurable and while many offer password protection as an option (which BlitzenZeus suggests using), this can be a significance inconvenience to some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.