Firewall blocking connectivity

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Sovjohn, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sovjohn

Sovjohn Registered Member

Hello,

I am overall quite satisfied with ESS beta, but the firewall really needs to become more transparent and solve some glitches. Here are two incidents I have found:

• In a small office environment, where two computers share their internet connection via Wi-Fi, the suite INITIALLY allowed the sharing. From some point onwards, it decided it didn't like us anymore, and stopped allowing the sharing. The computer which is connected to the Internet runs as an access point (AP), and runs Windows XP. The computer trying to connect to the AP runs Windows Vista. Under Windows Vista, connection IS established with the two computers, but no internet access is given (only "LAN access").
      This has been tried with Interactive mode as well, won't work. The only real solution is to disable firewall on every restart and replace it with XP firewall (messy). If the ESS firewall is disabled, the computers connect to each other seamlessly and instantaneously.
    • I have a PPC/PDA with a USB cable to transfer files from the PC to it. When ESS firewall is active, the device will get power from the USB, but will not be accessible. Once the ESS firewall is turned off, again, the device is properly accessible. Note: Even if I turn the firewall back on AFTER the device is detected, there is no change...Still works.

Unless the above issues are rectified, I will be forced to go with standalone AV at the end of the Beta period...ESS rocks and all, but only if it works with what I work.

2. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Same problem here, small home network, 1 PC acting as the server of the Home Lan with ICS and a laptop that goes arround the house :) and is used for whatever anyone whant's.
    Since I installed ESS I cannot share my internet connection any more, even my printer wont work when I send a request from the laptop..
    I really like the program but Unless they can fix thi, there are other firewalls -even for free- that can do the job without hussle.

3. Sovjohn

Sovjohn Registered Member

There is noone who experiences the same issues? I will be forced to use the AV only and resort to some other form of firewall if this continues...

4. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I have the same problem only mine is a home network rather than office. It sounds like it's doing the same thing though.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185194

In that thread there is word that the problem is fixed in the next release. We just have to wait until then.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Enable logging all blocked connections and then check the firewall log to see what rule has blocked the communication.

6. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.