Firewall and Hardening Systems

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sweater, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Good question Tom! I'm sure when one of the others come a long they will answer.

That would be interesting to see.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

screenshot of main (and only) window:

Attached Files:

3. Rilla927

WSFuser yer awesome! Thanks.

Do you get a lot of promps to answer?

4. Rilla927

I know Samurai has four configuration files to choose from, which one are you using?

5. Arup

Arup Guest

The TCP/IP settings set up by Samurai, Harden IT and Safe XP are all implemented registry level so even if they are applied after each other, they only overlap, however I suggest that one reads the explanations carefully in detail when applying Samurai which does give good and clear explanation of the patches being applied, also Samurai has the option of applying the reg settings temporarily or permanent, I suggest the former for the first time to see compatibility issues then applying the later when there are no problems.

For myself personally, I have already applied Harden IT and then Samurai with max security settings without any problems, my machine is the router Gateway serving two others in my house on LAN.

6. WSFuser

i think i selected medium and customized from there.

7. Rilla927

Thank you! :)

8. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Hi, Guys

(By the Thanks for the screenshot WSFuser.) I Have recently downloaded Samuri with the 32 steps file and it looks really good. I think i will give it a try over the weekend. What i think interests me the most about this program is the rootkit and driver insatllation protection. One more question i do have is it easy to reverse any of the system changes if i have any problems or disable the protection when i have to install any new software or drivers?

Regards Tom :)

9. WSFuser

i believe the file menu lets u uninstall samurai and just to make sure, first unselect or unhighlight all options and apply it.

10. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Rilla...Honestly if u set up those harden It & Samurai in rite way it shoudnt effect. I was bit scared as well in the very first time but with some elite members around in the forum....i finally made it. A former ZA user & even that i have uninstalled that as well. Currently running naked along with Harden It + Samurai (max Security) + Opera & ofcourse behind the router ;) I remember a quote of Stefan where he mentioned once > The more security u would apply could expect more conflicts..so perhaps u should bare that in mind as per your neccesity concern :)

Cheers
    :cool:

11. Rilla927

Hi MushfiQ,

I like the idea that you can change the configuration anytime you want with Samurai. I'm pleased to find these products. I think that will be the perfect time (on a fresh OS install) to install Samurai and Harden-It.

Yes, everyone at this forum has been a BIG help. The sky is the limit on what you want to learn at this forum.

Wow, you running naked, ha! No security apps at all?

I have learned it does take time to find the right set up that is right for each individuals machine, thats the point I'm at right now.

I heard of a few minor things not working after people install some those system hardening apps, like something not working properly in Office; but the way I look at it, that minute whatever that isn't working, isn't worth me compromising the heavy security I can have for my machine, so I would just live with it.

12. Rilla927

Tom just a suggestion, I would back up my registry just as a precaution. Here is a tool and it's free http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

I do remember it being said if you want to make any changes, go to the folder where you have progie and make your changes. Just don't delete the folders.

I don't know if your supposed to disable the progies to install new software. If you did that you wouldn't get the notification about a blablabla driver would like to install from Samurai. But I'm not the expert on this stuff. Some of the other fellas will answer.

Sorry post is after the fact:)

13. WSFuser

just to add for harden-it. find it in ur program files and rerun it to undo/uninstall or just change a few options.

14. T772

T772 Guest

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I recently learned that the rootkit blocking function in Samurai was prototype software code that was rejected because it could never get past quality assurance testing at PivX. The hardening tool is apparently stolen code by a former employee, and lawsuits are pending. You can take that as you will, but I can not, in any good conscince, recommend anyone use Samurai. At least not until the legal stuff is settled and the code is a lot more polished. (The program has always had a very 'rough' feeling to me, this was one of the primary reasons I only previously recommended it for advanced users.)

16. Rilla927

17. Rilla927

Not good!

I have sat and read for the last few hours on the links Tom gave and in the one old thread from Wilders a member commented " Samarai looks a lot like Qwik Fix" and Turbotramp was active in the thread and never made one comment. So everything is gel-lin, this all makes sense now.

I absolutely agree Notok, you are right! If I was in PivX place, I'd be pis*ed!
    You know karma, it will come back to bite him.

18. Arup

Arup Guest

If copying, patent infringement and other related issues were the norm, MS should be out by now, it started its NT as a OS/2 rip off and also stepped on many toes like Java and JPEG to name a few on its way to current glory. The guy who makes Samurai is not asking for a single cent, all he is doing is applying protection in an easy way, whats more, he even gives out an easy to use step by step document for implementing Samurai policies on your own, I see no harm there.

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

There's no harm in using the same techniques that PivX uses, there's nothing they can do about that, but using their code (taking the actual source code and repackaging it) is another thing. The main point that I want to make is about the rootkit protection, though.. it was never finished, and there was a reason for that. Namely that it could never pass QA standards, which is not good. That component always made me feel a little uneasy, and frankly now I know why.. it just always seemed a little too rough. If you want to stop driver installs, PG is really your best way to go (atm), even if that's the only feature that you use. There will be other products including this feature soon as well. As for the hardening settings, personally I feel it's better to use something like Secure-It or use the real PreEmpt itself. Computer Security Tool is also growing rapdily, and may soon be able to replace PreEmpt for those that wish.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  20. T772

T772 Guest

I do kinda do agree with Notok on this issue but I can also see the other argument, as the guy who made this program isnt making any money even though it is with or with out his own code. I was interested mainly in this program due to the rootkit/driver installation protection, but this is dangerous as it can have negative effects on other software.

Tom

21. Arup

Arup Guest

Enabling root kit protection is optional, if one doesn't feel comfortable with it, there is option to de-select it.

22. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Root Kit Protection caused some problems in my computer by not letting some programs run normally, so I am running Samurai High Security without the rootkit protection on and all seems fine. Has anyone seen any side-effects having everything enabled in Samiurai (specifically with what setting) and just leaving out Rootkit Protection?

I read up on PreEmp software, but don't really know if its worth it if most of it is done manually by the advanced windows user in a way. It looks like it could conflict or replace some existing security and hardening products one traditionaly uses. Anyways, is anyone using it right now? What do you people think about its price tag? PreEmp looks more like a combination of SafeXP , Harden-It, Secure-It, and Samurai.

dja2k

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  23. Arup

Arup Guest

I use the Root Kit protection only after I have installed all my programs, it is quite powerful and won't even let me install CHX for that matter.

24. WSFuser

with the rootkit protection, cant u just select to allow the driver?

25. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

I am a satisfied user of Samurai with all options selected except for the denial of service and rootkit feature and would like to take this opportunity to share my experience with the rootkit function enabled.

With it enabled I found that I was unable to access sysedit, command.com and my cd-rom/dvd. Secondly, I found that I could not install 16-bit software apps.. Lastly, while running this feature simultaneously with Attack Shield WS, I hypothesize and speculate that this combo temporarily disabled the application filter of my Look'n'Stop firewall.

Because of the above problems with the rk function, I recently decided to install UnHackMe to take its place and am considering the purchase of WormGuard at this time.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.