Firewall Advice

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by firzen771, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i am looking for a good firewall, it can be free or paid, doesnt matter. resource consumption doesnt really matter to me because i have 2 gigs of RAM, and Core 2 Duo 2.45ghz. and i dont want it to be annoying and constantly need user intervention to allow things, thats my biggest annoyance! and id prefer an application based firewall instead of a rule based one, but its not a big deal

i am currently using zone alarm pro, and its making me angry, cause its always asking for user intervention for everything! other than that, i like it.

2. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

You might want to take a look at the Online Armor 2 full version (paid).

unless you are using Vista. It's not compatible with Vista yet.

http://www.tallemu.com/

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  3. firzen771

do u have any reviews on it, and for a firewall id like something that is effective and wont be easily shutdown from malware, and is user friendly

4. Hipgnosis

It protects itself against termination.

Check this forum, there are a number of threads about it and the free version.

5. firzen771

idc if its free, id prefer something that effective and is proven to be effective, instead of a free version if its worse. do u have links to reviews on it?

6. Hipgnosis

7. firzen771

k any other suggestions for good firewall that meats my requirementso_O? im trying to find all the firewalls that meet what i want, then out of those ill pick wat i want

8. Hipgnosis

9. firzen771

ehh, im kinda skeptical about webroots firewall, and is ther a way to just download OA firewall and not the entire suite?

10. DIgiDis

DIgiDis Registered Member

The free version isn't really a suite in the common use the term, its more of a great combo of a light and tight firewall coupled with a powerful HIPS program. Just having a basic firewall will still leave you vulnerable to spyware and such, but a firewall working with HIPS really increases your protection against spyware, viruses, trojans, pretty much all malware. As for Online Armor, there are a few popups in the beginning as the program settles in with your computer, but after that there seems to be mimimal user attention required and most importantly, there is near zero computer resource usage.

Another thought, if you want a lot of simplicity and a lot less popups, you should put your computer behind a router/firewall ( if you haven't already) as this will eliminate pretty much all unsolicited traffic.

11. firzen771

wat about the paid version is that a suite? or can u just get the firewall with HIPS and ****, i dont need to antivirus, and i dont care if it has spyware protection

12. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Comodo has the same protection as online armor and is completely free. The hips can also be completely disabled at installation. So you can just have the firewall.

13. firzen771

yeh, ive tried comdo and its pretty good, not the best, but pretty good, but im trying to see other options, so does online armour paid version have to come as the suite with antivirus or can u just get the firewall without the AV?

14. Coolio10

Yes you can get the firewall without av.

15. firzen771

i installed online armor trial, and im having a lot of problems accessing web pages, i am using firefox, im also kinda having trouble with adding programs to allowed and **** like that, and i dont want to have to allow each and every web site just so i can go to it.....

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  16. DIgiDis

DIgiDis Registered Member

Double click the Online Armor icon and you can uncheck the Web Shield on the main page. If you do this I would suggest to use the NoScript plugin for Firefox. In the beginning you are going to get popups until Online Armor knows what is good and bad on your computer. Just remember to check the "remember this" when you OK or deny a program. If this is still too much for you, you can always right click the tray icon and disable the HIPS when you don't want to be bothered.

17. Hipgnosis

You could right click on the tray icon and select "Learning mode" for a few days. See if that helps get it trained to your satisfaction.

18. firzen771

wats better Comodo firewall or OA firewall paid? and would v3 of Comodo firewall be better than OA paid?

19. Coolio10

Cannot turn this to a A vs B thread so it's your oppinion. Try both. Which features/looks are better for you. But keep in mind that comodo v3 is still in beta and improving each release. So bugs would be normal for now, but stability is great. Both have their pros and cons but to me they both have all the major features a firewall needs. They also each have things that make them unique such as oa's country selection or comodo's built-in diagnostics. Make your choice and please tell us why you pick/did not pick a firewall. Helps the developers make the firewall a well-rounded firewall made for everyone

20. firzen771

by which is better, i meant with tests, u know leak tests, and all those, anyone have any links with tests that can compare the 2?

21. Coolio10

Comodo scores higher but by a bit. Matousec is down for me. Anyone else?

22. Hipgnosis

I noticed they were down a day or two ago.

I guess they relied on the wrong firewall. :D

23. Diver

Diver Registered Member

There is no real answer to this question. It depends on the other security applications installed, compatibility with drivers and personal taste. They are all good. Of the 3 only Comodo 3 runs n Vista, so that would decide it for me.

24. firzen771

now which one is less naggy and needing lots of user intervention?

25. Coolio10

Both are the same really. Comodo has a bit more because its hips is its own module.

Comodo is more customizable though. Even at installation you have three levels of protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.