FireJail - Linux sandbox

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gitmo East, Oct 16, 2014.

1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Okay, my misunderstanding. Thanks for the tip!

2. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Yes, that's possible. Please inform us about their answers!

Nevertheless, one more question: If you start iceweasel with

Code:
    firejail --debug iceweasel
    you should find

close at the bottom of the lengthy output. Do you?

3. summerheat

You're welcome! I think the whitelist switch is a great enhancement in Firejail as it makes it much easier to confine an application.

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I don't o_O Probably because of the 'noroot' option?

Code:
    noroot user namespace installed

5. summerheat

Oops! The 'noroot' option is standard, so that's not the cause.

Hm, could this be related to the fact that Arch doesn't support user namespaces while Debian obviously does?

Edit: Sorry - I forgot that you're using Parabola ...
    Edit2: But then I don't understand this output at all as Parabola is an Arch derivative. I'm confused ...

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

@summerheat Actually I'm using Arch with Iceweasel, your-freedom and your-privacy from Parabola. They're basically the same system.

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I need to separate two instances of the same browser. The first instance is a regular "firejail iceweasel" that I allow to keep all changes and settings to it's profile folder, while the other firejailed Iceweasel must not reatin any changes (cookies, settings, etc) but must use the same profile as the first Iceweasel (this same profile, used by the 2nd Iceweasel, is copied to another folder).

I'm not able to do so.

I already copied my current /home/amarildo/.mozilla folder into "/home/amarildo/Others/Iceweasel" and tried opening Iceweasel with the following command (while the first sandbox is already running):
    Code:
    firejail --private=/home/amarildo/Documents/Others/Iceweasel/ --debug iceweasel
    However, it's like I've opened Iceweasel on the same sandbox as the first one is running on, and thus the changes on this 2nd sandbox "pass over" the first one, to the first Iceweasel.

I also tried like this:
    Code:
    firejail --private-home=/home/amarildo/Documents/Others/Iceweasel/ --debug iceweasel 
    And this:
    Code:
    firejail --private-home=/home/amarildo/Documents/Others/Iceweasel/.mozilla --debug iceweasel 
    With no success.

Any tips?

8. summerheat

Okay, I haven't tried it - but by starting the the second profile with the -no-remote switch it should work. I suggest that you first start Firefox with

Code:
    firefox -P
    and create a new profile (called, say, iceweasel). A new profile ...iceweasel (where ... are arbitrary letters and figures) should now exist in ~/.mozilla. You can copy your old profile into that new one. Now start that one with

Code:
    firejail --private-home=.mozilla firefox iceweasel -no-remote
    (I'm not quite sure if you have to combine the -no-remote switch with the -P switch. I haven't used it for years, sorry ...)

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Thank you, summerheat. I'm a little busy ATM but I will test this as soon as I can.

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

You're a genius! :D I'm officialy your fan now :argh: :-*

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  11. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

BTW, I'm trying to start the 'sandbox' profile, but instead Iceweasel is trying to open 'sandbox.com'.

Code:
    firejail --private-home=.mozilla iceweasel sandbox -no-remote
    OK, got it now:

firejail --private-home=.mozilla iceweasel -P sandbox -no-remote

12. summerheat

I'm definitely not a genius but having at least one fan feels really good :D:D

I'm glad that it worked for you!

13. summerheat

Aha - so the -P switch was necessary, indeed. Good to know!

14. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

:)

I'm changing all my passwords now. I used Facebook on this browser and I can't know if websites can copy saved passwords from users. From now on, Google/Facebook will only be used on the Sandboxed Browser that will contain no save passwords or cookies or even login names.

15. SuperSapien

SuperSapien Registered Member

I'm having some problems with Private Keep when I use it on a non-admin/standard account, my bookmarks disappear and some of my extensions don't work correctly when using PK from a non-admin account. Any idea whats going on here?
    BTW I want to update Firejail do I simply repeat the install process to update?

16. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

As far Arch/Parabola are concerned, yes. I think openSUSE and Debian/Ubuntu/Mint don't require you to remove it before updating as well.

17. SuperSapien

SuperSapien Registered Member

Thanks.:thumb:

18. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

I have been away frim firejail for some time..is the nasty Arch + Pulseaudio bug finally fixed?

19. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Some people say it has "kind of been fixed". I don't mind it, the fix is really simple and can be done in 10 seconds.

20. zakazak

The workaround that has been suggested is far from perfect/recommended or even good.

So still no real fix :( thanks for letting me know.

21. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Why "far from recommended" or "not even good" if it works and is easy to do? o_O

I mean, sure, Pulseaudio should fix it themselves, but this fix is actually really good/simple/easy/fast, compared to other fixed on the world of Linux hehehehe

22. zakazak

According to a pulseaudio developer, No.

First its a firejail bug not a pulseaudio bug, second the workaround will disable a part of pulseaudios main feature (it creates little files that are needed but WONT delte them afterwards with the workaround enabled (causing a spam of those little files)).

23. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Did pulseaudio change their story? They've admitted that this is their fault, on netblue's github page.

24. zakazak

Really? My bad then. When I followed the bug it was said that it is a firejail bug and not a pulseaudio problem. Well in any case, I will need to wait for an update that fixes the problem ;(

25. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

No, you don't o_O You can fix it yourself in the mean time. I've been using this fix for months without problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.