Firefox's massive overhaul moves to beta

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 21, 2014.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I opened the site again, this time using Internet explorer 8 in my XP, same result. No need to allow JS. I dont use Opera so I cant check the site using Opera and cant explain what you see with Opera but for sure, the site doesnt require scripts for the pictures.:)

Bo

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 32 Beta 7 released August 15, 2014. Also available via internal updater.

The Firefox Beta page's Free Download button will download Firefox Setup Stub 32.0b7.exe (238 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 32.0b7.exe's.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I was being silly, should have checked it first, but with scripting disabled in Opera, the site does indeed work. So apparently ScriptKeeper breaks the site, but I actually like it, because most of the time I hate this stupid Tumblr crap. :)

EDIT: About the other problem with Google, I get the feeling that Adblock Plus is interfering with NoScript, but I´m not sure.

4. bo elam

It shouldn't, Rasheed. I use both addons in my two computers, I believe using those two addons together speeds things up. I used them for about 5 years, never an issue.

Bo

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Once Firefox integrates multi-process functionality (Aka Electrolysis) and fixes the Firefox error that it hasn't closed properly, then I shall use it again.

In the meantime, I am using still Chrome.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  6. bo elam

Ty, since you are using Sandboxie, adding firefox.exe in Sandbox settings>Program stop>Leader program, might help your Firefox to close properly.

Bo

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 32 Beta 8 released August 19, 2014. Also available via internal updater.

The Firefox Beta page's Free Download button will download Firefox Setup Stub 32.0b8.exe (238 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 32.0b8.exe's.

8. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

haha, its all evil javascript rubbish.

install noscript to firefox and suddenly it runs 4x as fast with 1/2 the ram usage
    block active scripting in IE and suddenly all its mem leaks stop and cpu usage plummets from 40% (on my rig) down to about 0.3%
    also in firefox a useful tunable look for dom.min_background_timeout_value it controls how often background tabs will run javascript scripts, like widget refreshes etc. I set it to 9999999 I think it defaults to 5 seconds.

But seriously what firefox does need to copy is privilege segregation/sandboxing that both IE and chrome have for security and also multi process for stability and performance, in IE if a tab crashes it reloads, in firefox it takes down the browser. The browser also constantly stutters because everything is in the same process (except plugins).

9. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

and that is their focus now.

OS X
    Linux
    and mobile/touch

For firefox dev's I seriously think they now consider the windows desktop their lowest priority platform, evident by the fact they wont do a 64bit version and they never launched their web store for the desktop, plus the constant UI changes that are designed for touch not for desktop.

10. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

indeed, firefox without extensions is a plain aweful browser. IE e.g. has noscript functionality built in with its zone system.

I think if they cant implement multi process and lower priv elevation they need to wipe the slate clean and make a new browser, they cannot keep firefox in its current state for too long, its technically years behind the competition which as you said is been hidden by extensions.

11. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I think this explains why it is poor.

http://www.palemoon.org/layout-differences.shtml

in short Mozilla (like google) think its right to have a consistent UI across platforms ignoring OS UI design.
    I disagree I think there should be uniformity across everything on the OS including apps, and as such australis is bad and doesn't follow windows layout standards.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I agree that disregarding standards and OS differences isn't desirable, but you missed my point. When you can change the skin to make an app look and work the way you want it to it doesn't matter what the default skin is. The strength of Firefox has always been the fact that it can be customized/personalized. Don't like Australis? Just change it - end of problem.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It doesn't matter what Firefox is without extensions. What matters is the level of security and functionality that can be attained with extensions.

14. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

well not exactly.

various extensions seem to cause issues with resource leaks on firefox and performance problems.

the firefox devs seem to only want to support the product without extensions, meaning if you report a problem they ask you to produce the problem in safe mode, and if you cannot they tend to say tough luck its a extension problem.

likewise if I upgrade to a version of firefox that uses this new UI layout, then use the extension to revert a more sane layout, the browser probably will run slower with more ram as a result of the extension rather than if it was natively that layout, users having to use extensions to bring back an old UI is just plain silly.

15. bo elam

Silly, not really. By using the extension Classic theme restorer, I am allowed to have Firefox function as I am used to and that's what is all about. I don't feel comfortable not being able to open bookmarks as a sidebar or having tabs on top, fortunately in Firefox I can change that. I use three addons in one computer and four in another one, I cant tell the difference speed wise with or without them. Perhaps if I was using 25 addons, I would feel a difference but I avoid installing whats unnecessary.

Chrcol, about sandboxing in Firefox. You don't need to wait for that. You can run Firefox under Sandboxie. Sandboxie and Firefox work great together, their is a free version which is as secure as the paid one. Nothing security wise is taken out of the free version.

Bo

16. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

So why cant they just issue an addon theme to emulate chrome instead of changing the default layout?

As after all you state its no problem because of an extension.

17. bo elam

For me personally, it would be better if there was a theme to emulate Chrome for the people that like that. I don't like the way Chrome or the newer Firefox functions, with this addon, I can have Firefox as I am used to and feel comfortable using it. In addition to what I mentioned, I also use it to place the addon/status bar at the bottom. Thats where I am used to placing NoScript icons and where I like it, I also restore the star in the URL bar for bookmarking sites, get rid of the Customize button and eliminate the X for closing tabs, make the Menu bar a little smaller, there are a couple other things that I do with it but I cant remember what they are now. Try the addon sometime. Like I said, I avoid installing things whatever they are, this addon is worth it in my opinion if you like the old Firefox.

If you are using Sandboxie, you can test it by installing it sandboxed, when you delete the sandbox it ll be gone.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Bo

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/08/21/mozilla-resolves-firefox-is-already-running-shutdown-issue/

19. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I use a ramdisk for the disk cache, does sandboxie allow that?

I am still unhappy with having to use a 3rd party sandbox tho, it isn't a get out of jail free card for Mozilla.

20. bo elam

I don't use ramdisk but there are many Sandboxie users that move the sandbox container to the ramdisk, Sandboxie allows that. After you install SBIE, you go to Sandboxie control>Sandbox>Set Container folder.

I tell you a secret chrcol. I prefer Firefox doesn't implement sandboxing, as it is now and during the 6 years that I used both of this programs together, Firefox has been great under Sandboxie. Conflicts? None for me. I don't want that to end. And it will end when sandboxing is part of Firefox. Its gonna be a challenge to keep Firefox working great under SBIE everytime a new browser update comes out. Thats how I see it.

Bo

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 32 Beta 9 released August 23, 2014. Also available via internal updater.

The Firefox Beta page's Free Download button will download Firefox Setup Stub 32.0b9.exe (238 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 32.0b9.exe's.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.