Firefox vs. Internet Explorer - connection and proxy setting

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stalker, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Hey ..

Because Firefox forum is so bloated with newbies questions (I mean questions like - how can I import favorites, how can I sort bookmarks, etc.), I couldn't get an answer there, and it is also related to Interet Explorer, and connections settings in general.

So my question is:

What is the difference between Internet Explorer "Proxy settings window" in Internet Options -- Connetions (or better - one particular dial-up connecton to ISP, currently used), and Firefox "Proxy settings window" ??

I also see, some things are set generally, like if I set to "Show Pre-dial Terminal Screen" for one particular connection in particular connection settings, it will be displayed anyway (nomather which browser is set as default)

1. Do I need to choose:

... "Use a proxy server for this connection", and set all the ports, exclusions, etc. in Internet Options -- Connetions -- Advanced tab.
    http://www.satyrhosts2.greatnow.com/InternetExplorer-Connection.gif
    http://www.satyrhosts2.greatnow.com/InternetExplorer-ProxySettings.gif

and additionally also to choose (I mean like "required" to set connection and browser properly to use proxy):

... "Manual proxy configuration" (instead of "Direct access"), so therefore doing the same thing as above, also in Firefox Connection Settings configuration.

http://www.satyrhosts2.greatnow.com/Firefox-ProxySettings.gif.gif

2. Do I need to:

... do this only once (in/for the browser's settings, that is currently used as "default browser")

But what if one particular connection I am currently using, is set TO NOT USE proxy server (again in Internet Options -- Connetions), but in Firefox Connection Settings configuration TO USE it (or vice versa), which one, which setting will value then ??

P.S., I just assume this is also related to two different "kinds" of Dial-up prompt windows that pops-up. I first thought, one is for Internet Explorer (when set as default), and one for any other (no Microsoft, and no IE) browser. But I am not so sure anymore.

http://www.satyrhosts2.greatnow.com/InternetExplorer-DialupPromptWindow.gif
    http://www.satyrhosts2.greatnow.com/Firefox-DialupPromptWindow.gif

Though, I consider myself well-computing educated, I am really confused about all this. Please, if anyone can try to explain it to me ...

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Stalker;

I don't mean to be rude, I really don't. I have read this about eight times, and I still don't understand what it is that you are asking. Could you please condense this and get to the point?

Why are you using a proxy server?

Are you at work, or does your ISP require it?

Are you in a situation where you need to switch proxy settings dynamically?

Are you asking the difference between manual and automatic proxy settings?

Do you want to set the proxy settings for individual dial-up accounts?

Close Hauled

3. stalker

1. I am using it just as an additional layer of protection (web page filtering), and additionally, when using External Proxy feature (option in Naoko Proxomitron software proxy, I am using), I am even connected to some site/host "through" some IP (the proxy I choose to use in Proxomitron UI), so my IP is virtually invisible to that site/host ...

2. None. I am at home, and my ISP doesn't require it. Again, it is completely optionally ...

3. No, I am not in that situation ...

4. No, not at all (please, carefully read my post again, and see all the attachments added/pictures posted). I am asking about difference, between Firefox "internal" proxy configuration and IE "internal" proxy configuration. I could even say, I am asking if IE settings (i.e., Control Panel -- Internet Options -- Connections -- Proxy Settings) are for IE only, so only when using IE as default browser, or they apply generally.

Because as I mentioned other settings in Internet Options -- Connections, are applied also when using Firefox (for example "Show terminal window", "speaker settings", "Windows XP Firewall", etc.), so the question is:

what if I set in Internet Options -- Connections to USE PROXY (for one particular connection), and in Firefox Connection Settings to NOT USE PROXY (for connetion that is set as default, again in Internet Options -- Connections)

... and of course the same in reverse meaning:

what if I set in Internet Options -- Connections to NOT USE PROXY (for one particular connection), and in Firefox Connection Settings to USE PROXY (for connetion that is set as default, again in Internet Options -- Connections)

5. Yes, that is one part of my question. I am dial-up user so, yes, I would like to set it for individual dial-up accounts ...

P.S., Generally my problem is understanding, which settings are applied only for one connection in particular (the default one), and for one browser (the one, that is set as default browser at that time), and on the other hand, which are applied generally, for all connections, for any browser.

Because again, even if I set for example set in Firefox NOT USE PROXY (so-called "use direct access"), for that particular dial-up connection, I am currently using, it would still be set to USE PROXY for that same connection in Internet Options -- Connections. So, you see, you do not set which BROWSER should use proxy, but which CONNECTION, and connection is something indipendant from browser you are using as default browser.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

4.) Internet Explorer proxy settings are for Internet Explorer and the OS only. Other pieces of software may look to the IE proxy settings for their own settings, or allow you to enter them manually. IE settings do not affect Firefox.

5.) Individual dial-up proxy settings are done by going to the "Internet Properties" control panel and clicking the "Settings..." button for the selected dial-up connection under "Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings".

Please let me know if these answer your questions.

Close Hauled

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  5. stalker

Thanks, you did kind of answer my question. At least one (partially). But the "the OS only" part of your answer still makes me think though ...

The settings that "should" refer only to IE, sort of apply for some of OS's internet settings (yes, surely because IE itself is part of Windows). And all confusion is about that ...

Cheers

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some programs will import the proxy settings from IE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.