Firefox VS ESR

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

So what do I gain or lose if I run the ESR version of the firefox
    The reason I ask, is because my stupid Kaspersky AntiVirus is always not compatible with the latest Firefox, by the time Kaspersky releases an update to make the browser plugins of Kaspersky AV compatible with Firefox such as the virtual keyboard or URL Adviser, Mozilla would have already rolled out a new browser so Kaspersky is always playing the catch up game and me running the latest Firefox with the addons is never possible.

With Chrome no matter what updates it gets, the browser integration of Kaspersky Antivirus always works

So this is why I was contemplating whether I can use the Firefox ESR, and what would I be missing if I do

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

At this point you would be running Firefox 10 ESR, so any new features that have been added since 10 will be absent. It looks like the next scheduled ESR is 17 so it might be a good time to consider it.

Unfortunately this is the reason I am not currently running KIS. Both the lack of Firefox support and the rude treatment of customers that dared to ask about it.

3. berryracer

tell me about it man, when I asked on their forums I was attacked by the mods saying this is Mozilla's problem that they update so often :rolleyes:

And it is a very simple fix to imply the update but they keep it as the last thing on their schedule to do :rolleyes:

4. parsec

parsec Registered Member

/local/galaxy_cluster/milky_way/sol_system/earth
    Well with ESR you lose "sync addons" option.. and if a new feature comes with the latest release of firefox you don't get it... however you still get all the security patches.

Basically you get all security updates and that's it NO new features.
    That's all I can think of right now.

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I can understand KIS point of view, folks at Mozilla have gone insane with this rapid update schedule and it is quite tiring for 3rd party developers to update their products every time Firefox gets updated. Adobe for example, is also usually late to update Adobe Acrobat with newer Firefox versions, but all of the 3rd party vendors support the ESR release. If you do not need or notice the improvements in the rapid Firefox updates, you should switch to the ESR release schedule. The choice is yours.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

So do they not support Chrome either? Chrome updates just as fast, if not slightly faster than Mozilla.

7. berryracer

no with chrome even when it is updated it doesnt break the Kaspersky addons, I think the way it is handled is diff.

8. berryracer

tell me something guys, if I install Firefox v 3.7. Most sites I visit tell me that I am using an outdated version of Firefox

if I install FF 10 ESR, would I get the same issue or is that handled differently?

9. berryracer

It seems like FF 10 ESR yields the same warning messages from sites, I just installed it.

Attached Files:

10. xxJackxx

That stinks. I do blame Firefox for the problems but some vendors have adapted to the update schedule. Sites should support the ESR without warning until the next ESR, and Kaspersky needs a better plan for dealing with updates. And if not then a more tactful way to deal with customers. I may even switch back if they can work it out.

11. berryracer

Right now Kasperky's products are on the B Patch.

The soon to be released C Patch is going to have support for FF 17, 18, 19 thank god

12. xxJackxx

Good to know. I had peeked on their forums but hadn't seen any clear information on the subject.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it is Mozilla's fault for updating so often. why do you think other security vendors refuse to support Mozilla products? Dont you think kaspersky have more important things things to work on than having to change their plugins every six or so weeks?

14. xxJackxx

I can agree that it is Mozilla's fault. I am quite unhappy about what they have done. However, many vendors are updating on the day of a Firefox update. Kaspersky can choose not to support it at all. It would be better than claiming to support it and then failing to do so. It's the wrong attitude for a software vendor to take, especially with a paid product, and again the reason I am running a competitors product. What they have to work on is not the customer's problem. Being attacked for asking will cost more customers than the actual support of a browser.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Other vendors have changed their protection so it works with all browsers so they dont need to constantly update plugins for different browsers.

16. xxJackxx

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe everyone should do that. I really do wish Firefox would change to a more reasonable release schedule. It's not looking like the ESR is turning out to be a acceptable solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.