Firefox VP: "Say Goodbye to Flash"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

http://www.fastcompany.com/1737377/firefox-vp-flash-is-going-away

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

While I can agree that it would be nice to see an alternative, the real holdup is web developers. Once something becomes popular enough, it takes a while to change. You had the RealPlayer vs Windows Media vs anything else wars in the 90s, you had Java, and now we have Flash. Just about everything you can interact with on the web involves Flash (Which is why Jobs was an idiot to not allow it on the iPad. He damn near crippled the surfing experience). Browser developers can tout whatever they want, and, they can speed the process along by putting more HTML5 compliance/abilities into the browser. But, until websites change themselves, it won't matter a whole lot.

P.S: The "savior" of the internet would be whatever got rid of malware period, not just fought it.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this change will not happern overnight. im sure most people would like to see flash die i know i sure do.
    what we need now is google to promote ditching flash player in favour of html5.
    i think if enough major websites ditched flash and used html5 then alternate browsers would be used more. we all know most people use windows xp and ie8 doesnt support html5.

4. ABee

ABee Registered Member

I have no problem whatsoever with HTML5 becoming the new standard.
    Flash has had many years to get it right in providing rendering while maintaining a relatively secure environment, and has failed miserably.

On the other hand, there's no guarantee at all that HTML5 won't be exploited every bit as fast and furiously as Flash has been.

But definitely, time to give something else a try. HTML5, you go girl!

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

As we have seen, many people aren't going to change unless it's forced down their throats. The answer to the Win XP issue is not switching things to HTML5, it's shutting off security/performance updates for the OS. Besides, nothing is stopping anyone from alternative browsers right now, without even getting into the HTML5 topic. If they haven't changed over already, they aren't likely to, again, until it's forced on them. Another thing to consider, websites are a bit more hesitant about alienating their visitors than, let's say, OS vendors are about changing things around on their users. If they think the biggest percentage of their visitors/users can't or don't want to use HTML5, they won't be in a hurry to switch over, browser devs be damned. There are far more alternative websites than OSes, and even browsers.

The change over would be a good thing, in my opinion. But, I don't see it coming completely for a couple of years at the least.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, that's inevitable. Malware goes where the masses go. Besides, even with HTML5, Javascript will still be needed for most animation and interactive things. So you'll still be facing the same old security risks.

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

What does this mean for people who have flash installed? Can we uninstall flash when this comes out?

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It means in about 4 years flash will be as useful as Java. Only used for very specific situations and rarely needed.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

^This. And, in my opinion, that's about how long it's going to take for HTML5 to be widespread and put to full use.

10. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I will be very happy when this happens. Today, Flash is the only Plugin
    that I have installed.

Bo

11. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

I think a big advantage of Flash is the fact that there are good and easy-to-use IDEs, like Adobe's Flash Pro or Swish. They're interesting because they basically let you build a website with animation tools, and, compared to the usual website-building approach, relatively little coding is required.
    For HTML5, it's a lot more about coding, and that scares a lot of people off. However, Adobe's new Flash to HTML5 tool could mean that Adobe is moving towards HTML5, so maybe in the next version of Flash Pro will have more complete HTML5 Export tools, and that would give HTML5 quite a strong push.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.