Firefox - slow downs, anyone?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Have noticed over time that, as updates come and go for the FF browser, it seems like things are getting a bit pokier.

I.E., saving a web page, bookmarking - noticeable slowness, therein. Or, if I choose certain settings about where to save downloads every time or to not have the download window open at such times - it still opens said window, still asks ea. time where to save downloads, etc.

IT COULD BE that there's something on our PC in particular, that causes browser to have acid reflux, so I'm not at the moment pointing fingers at FF.

So, perhaps I've chosen wrong setting/s?

Don't think I have, but again, I don't recall FF browser in the past being pokey like this on such routine actions.

Thanks, for ideas on this.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If I had problems I think I'd probably opt for nuking the profile and reinstalling the latest release from scratch... that's a little drastic, but would probably fix it...

3. lugnut

lugnut Registered Member

Google KB943460 update, it's causing problems on everything. was having same problems on firefox .. deleted it and it has helped me. may not be your problem though......:)

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I am about to dump Firefox on PC 2, it hangs sometimes and even after shut down it remains as a running process. It could be OutPost FW not sure. :p

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

i have found that firefox has been getting slower and slower and consuming more and more memory as it progresses in development. It really is pretty ridiculous. They know there is a memory leak, and yet have not fixed it since 1.5, and it won't be fixed in v3. Firefox was supposed to be the lean and mean alternative to the mozilla suite, but I can barely run it on my computer now without wanting to kill myself on how slow it is.

Don't get me wrong, I love firefox for the ability to use the addons, especially the vimperator (that extension is sweet). I also like that it is open source, but Opera runs just as snappy as it does on other more power pcs as it does on this slow one, while firefox wants to crawl on its knees.

Hopefully they will get back to their original focus, but who knows?

Some suggestions if you want to try another browser include K-Meleon or K-Ninja which are based on the gecko rendering engine and can actually use a good number of the firefox extensions, or you can also try Opera which is full of features and light, but is closed source.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. mercurie

Yes. I agree, even though I still use it on PC 1 a very old machine (without the problems that I have on PC 2). It has slowly deteriorated in performance for sure, :'( and it is sad to see.

7. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Another vote for Opera, which IMO is a good alternative to FF regarding security (source: Secunia) and browser speed.

/C.

8. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have both Opera and Firefox on my computers and most websites seem to load faster for me with Firefox. Maybe because I have made tweaks in FF's about:config and NoScript keeps some scripts from having to load?

Firefox does initially start up slower than Opera though at least on the first start after a reboot.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One of the problems with open discussions of software on forums, are the deflections to other software programs that have nothing to do with the original posters thoughts.

This is unfair to the original poster, casual readers of the forums, and to those that want to see a particular program improved.

All software is a work in progress and input from users will help make the software better for all of us.

Let's stay on the topic of the original post in all the forums and save opinions for polls.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My Firefox v2.0.0.7 opens also much slower, but only the very first opening after reboot. After that it opens within 3 seconds. I can't find any reason for this, it can't be my clean system, I assume that it's due to the latest release.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Having used FF for a few years, I have learned to clean the cache every so often even though I don't experience the slow downs you are discussing. Going to disk cleanup in system tools and deleting internet temp files and such is a good idea too. As far as a slow startup, FF usually takes about 13 seconds to load on a fresh boot up while IE takes 4 seconds because IE is preloaded into Windows and is half way loaded before you click the IE icon. You should notice that if you click off FF during a session, and later click back in during the same session, FF will only take about 5 seconds to load because it's still loaded.:)

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I had Firefox for some time and yes, it began slowing on me. In fact, I run it inside Sandoxie which is inside Returnil, and that gets rid of everything at the end of the day. I tried Opera and didn't like it, and gave Netscape Navigator a try.

I've had Netscape ever since and not a single complaint, nor slowdown. I gather it's basically Firefox but they must do something different because it's running as fast as the day I installed it.

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I have not had any problems at all with Firefox. I would say that the two biggest culprits of slowdowns are having extensions (Add-Ons) that are conflicting or your profile has become corrupted.

If you don't think its an extension, delete your profile and start over from scratch. It should fix you right up. Good luck!

14. Arup

Arup Guest

FF is a memory hog and Opera is the fastest on my system, I have all the tweaks done on FF including Fasterfox and yet, Opera manages to load faster and run fast and render pages fast as well.

15. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

This is just one such article that gives me hope that I may yet get "Foxie" back. Damn the bugs, just fix the mem-drain (this is actually called a feature lol)

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Netscape is probably fast because their servers don't get any traffic.:D

17. ASM

ASM Registered Member

Same problem as you, I replaced Outpost with OA... it's load faster, I am no very sure was it the AO(Agnitum Outpost)... it just load faster now, but recently I am using Opera a lot... Browser is just like media player nowaday... you need at least 2 in a PC... just in case one of them don't work well...:doubt:

18. spiderpants

spiderpants Registered Member

I was using Firefox for many years until I gave it the boot after a memory leak that paralyzed my PC big time. I was typing in a very important school project with Firefox on Wikipedia and Answers only. Then it crashed out of nowhere, and before I could react (or curse), my system was unusable. I had to retype (and rethink) all 200+ pages of my year-end Math report. :mad:

I had been using Opera for quite some time now. It's just as fast (if not faster) than Firefox, without the unnecessary resource hog. Plus, it fires up faster from cold, and it's also safe. IMHO it also looks prettier. The only thing that's bad in Opera is that it doesn't seem to support my download manager (Internet Download Manger).

I still have Firefox (I use it only when on Multiply) and I'm really waiting for the supposedly improved Firefox 3. But for now, I'm in love with Opera.

19. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Through the years that has been my experience too. The longer FF is installed and the more extensions I´ve used the slower the surfing goes. But I lived with that because of all the benefits FF have.

But as I said: it has been my experience. But no more.

A couple of months ago I decide to use a limited account in windows (I converted my old setup to LUA so it is the same install as in admin). So I got rid of all my HIPS and other realtime security software (Except AV Avira free)
    I dont know if it that or the fact that I stopped using Adblock plus and installed hostsman server but my Firefox is as fast as IE or as fast as FF is when freshly installed without any extensions, and not many milliseconds slower than Kmeleon. Even though I have 20 extensions most of the pages loads in a second or two (of course depending on where the site is) instead of 4-5 seconds in my previous setup. And that is a huge difference imo.
    I am really surprised coz I thought I would have to live with FF being slower than other browsers.

Now that I know that Firefox can be blazing fast I would suggest that it is something on your computer that makes FF slower. If you mean page loading that is, it still takes 3-5 seconds longer than IE to start FF the first time.

20. mercurie

Ronjor said, "All software is a work in progress and input from users will help make the software better for all of us." :thumb:

I did take the survey that they requested of me when I uninstalled it. I do indeed hope it helps when they get feed back. I would encourage others if the opportunity comes up to do the same. ;)

21. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

LOL, that's cool with me. Then I hope no one discovers it.

22. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Try Opera it safer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.