Firefox - selectively blocking images?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Is there such a thing as a setting in, or an extension for, Firefox (I use 1.0.4) which would let you tell it to skip a specific image while downloading a page, and carry on loading the rest of the page including other images? I'm thinking specifically of the case where a large image is holding up loading the rest of the page, but it could be useful in other cases too.

I know I can block all images, or right-click on one and block all images from its source. But neither way covers the situation where all images on the page are from the same source and you just want to skip one or more specific ones. It doesn't even need to remember from visit to visit.

Thanks for any help,
    Mike

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

You can close your eyes Mike ;)

Seriously, I don't think it's possible to not block only one image...but it's a nice idea imo.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. MikeBCda

Thanks, Ron, but not quite what I had in mind -- and FF's built in blocker does work fairly well. In particular, I'm not looking to block all images from a given source, I can already do that nicely with FF itself.

A closer-to-home example might be a thread here with lots of screenshots or other large images. If I'm only interested in new postings since previous visit, I don't really need to see earlier images over again, with their accompanying longer download time.

Some kind of right-click "Block this one this time" would make a dandy new extension -- but alas, no one here (that I know of) is involved in developing such things. And feedback to Mozilla (and individual extension developers) is a nightmare.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Ad-block can do that. I use on it on this forum.

6. dog

dog Guest

7. MikeBCda

Nuke image seems to works nicely, thanks for the link. I've only just gotten it in and given it a quick try, so only time will tell of course, but it looks like it could be just what I wanted.

Nice doggie. Good doggie. ;) :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.