Firefox - Scanning downloads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

When I download things in Firefox I notice it only says it scans the first file I download for viruses. There are no further messages saying it's scanning the files during that browsing session.

Does that mean it's not scanning any of the subsequent files, or does it just only display that message the first time? I've actually wondered this for quite some time now. And if it is only scanning the first one, is there a setting (perhaps in about:config) I can modify to make it scan them all?

I'm using version: 3.6.17

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't know what the "scan at time of download" is all about. I do my own scan (of the sandbox) as well.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ luciddream

Yeah i've noticed it too & wondered, but then quickly forget :D

If you find any more info, let us know

Re - about:config

If you have an AV that autoscans DL's anyway, you "could" set the above to FALSE.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That makes sense. I've always been confused about how quickly the Firefox AV scan gets done compared to when I scan manually.

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Thank you for the insightful replies. I was hoping there might be a value to accompany that setting to get it to scan all... and that maybe mine was set to "1" and that's why it was only scanning the first file.

Agree it is kind of a pointless overlap if you have any AV with real-time protection, but I guess it's kind of a placebo effect just to see that message, and I wanted to see it for all of my downloads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.