Firefox RC3 & downloads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Is anyone else having problems downloading files with FF RC3? I downloaded and installed RC3 to try it but I have a problem with it. When I try to download a program with it what I end up with is a zero byte file. I can download a file with FF2 or Opera 9.5 just fine but not with FF3 RC3. Any ideas?

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Yes. You will need to go into IE and adjust the Security Zones. I'll look for the post I made earlier somewhere and post a link to it here.

3. AKAJohnDoe

4. AKAJohnDoe

5. AKAJohnDoe

And more Here

Reset system Internet security settings - Windows

Starting in Firefox 3: When you attempt to download an executable file (e.g., an .exe or .msi file) you may see a Firefox Downloads window with one of these messages under the filename:

* Blocked: Download may contain a virus or spyware (Firefox 3 Beta 5 image)
    * This download has been blocked by your Security Zone Policy (Firefox 3 RC1 image).

This issue does not occur in Firefox 2 or earlier.

Firefox 3 may block downloads of all executable files if the Internet security option, "Launching applications and unsafe files" is set to "Disabled". [18] [19] To change this setting, open Internet Options (via Control Panel or from Internet Explorer -> Tools) and click the "Security" tab. Select the "Internet" zone, click the "Custom level..." button, then find the "Launching applications and unsafe files" setting (under Miscellaneous) and select "Prompt (Recommended)". [20] [21].

If you need more help changing your Windows Internet security settings, see this article.
    [edit]

6. Firebytes

AKAJohnDoe

Thanks for the information.:thumb: I read a short bit but I am off to work now and I will check the rest out tomorrow.

By the way what in the world were FF developers thinking? Using IE's settings for FF? :( If I trusted/liked IE I wouldn't have that setting unchecked as it is and I would use it as my browser.

I also saw that FF3 causes your AV to scan a file automatically when it finishes downloading. While that might be great for some people, I don't like it myself. I know how to scan files on demand by myself and I like to decide when and how I do it. At least it can be disabled in about:config

7. AKAJohnDoe

Actually, FF3 is using the OS just like IE does. These settings can also be reached via Control Panel/Internet Options.

8. Firebytes

OK, changing the setting worked as advertised and I can now download files with FF3 RC3. Thanks for pointing me to the fix.:D

While I understand that FF3 is using the OS's internet settings now like IE does my question is...why did they change it? FF 2 doesn't work that way. It seems like a bad idea to me for FF3 to share settings with IE since I may wish to have different security settings for the two browsers. Also, have you already checked if any of the other settings in the OS's Internet Options panel affect FF3, like restricted sites, etc.?

9. AKAJohnDoe

No, but I have found this, which is a way to find the changes implemented with Firefox 3.

10. Firebytes

Thanks for the link. I appreciate the help.

11. AKAJohnDoe

There is also a nice User Guide of sorts for Firefox V3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.