Firefox or Opera for family compter?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Robyn, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Firefox or Opera for family computer?

I am setting up my old computer for my sister and her family (5 user accounts) XP.
    Currently there is only IE and this is the browser they have been using with Windows 98se. I have Opera myself and feel a lot happier using it (feels odd just having IE on their computer) I know I will have to teach them and have never used Firefox myself.

I would appreciate any advice on which browser is best suited to user accounts and which is the easiest for a family who have only used Internet Explorer o_O I am the only user on my computer but realise with 5 accounts setups can be different for browsers. I know they will want to use the browser they know but after using Opera myself I am not too happy leaving them with IE :(
    If I knew Opera works well with user accounts then I know more about this browser - I would have to learn how to setup Firefox for them o_O

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Opera works well with various user accounts. Which one is best is totally up to you. I suggest trying both and then picking which browser best suites your needs as they are both good browsers. You will get folks in here that swear by Firefox, and those that swear by Opera, but the choice is yours. I personally prefer Opera as it suites all my needs.

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Why not install both? They both work well with different user accounts. I use Opera and the wife uses FF ;)

4. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for your replies. Good news that they both work on user accounts :)
    I think I may go for Opera considering I know more about this browser - still have to try Firefox myself :oops:
    It will be 'fun' trying to show five Internet Explorer only users to cope with a new browser :rolleyes:
    Just as well my sister doesn't worry half as much as I do :)

5. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

i tried firefox, but didn't like the way it didn't display many websites correctly. i haven't tried opera, but am happy using either internet explorer, or my msn browser that came with my dsl (msn browser goes through internet explorer also). using internet explorer, i never have to put up with web pages that don't work, and i have never had a problem. as long as the computer has up to date anti-virus, anti-spyware, and two way firewall, they should be just fine continuing to use internet explorer. advantage : no learning curve for them!

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

After you get used to FireFox,I'd install both on your sister's computer.
    I have found that some people like Opera and some people like FireFox.

7. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Same here, I like and use Opera, my wife likes and uses FireFox.

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Don't be to paranoid about the browser. My daughter uses IE on her laptop since december 2005. Recently I visited her (she studies in another country) and I checked her machine. No trace of malware or whatever nasties.
    I installed on her laptop some anti-malware progs when she bought it, she has absolutely no clue about it. But she is a happy camper and so am I.
    Regards,

Gerard

9. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I think Firefox is much better. It has lots of options, custumization and extensions that Opera has never had. Aside from that Firefox is much easier for me to use than Opera. :cool: :thumb:

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I believe FF is easier to master for a novice. I also must admit Opera 9 is a vast improvement over previous versions.
    Mrk

11. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Ayup, install both.

Firefox is the default, and I use IE when running Windows/Office updates, and I ocassionaly find web pages thatare rendered better by Opera.

12. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

For family computer, I would recommend Opera.

Firefox is a very good browser. However, its power more relies on various extensions. Unless different family members are willing to install and tweak the extensions of their own tastes, Firefox would not show its advantage. On the other hand, Opera is more ready to be used right out of box.

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    That's why you can use different profiles in FF.
    Mrk

14. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Firefox has extensions IEView and IETab by which you can toggle to display those websites (that are tightly coded for IE and don't render well in FF) in IE when visiting them.

-- Tom

15. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I use Firefox and have not installed ANY extensions, other than the one required to use McAfee AV. However, I'll be dropping McAfee so that issue will go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.