Firefox Options>Applications doesn't display PDF icon Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Sep 19, 2014.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I'm working on a puzzler and I thought I'd see if any of the brilliant minds here have some insight.

In Firefox>Options>Applications, I've got it set to preview PDFs in Firefox. In Windows XP there's a PDF icon displayed, it's my default icon for PDFs. All well and good. But in Vista, there's just a blank icon. Here's a list of things I've tried:

1. Firefox safe mode
    2. New clean FF profile
    3. Rebuilt icon cache in Vista
    4. Deleted thumbnail cache in Vista
    5. Deleted mimeTypes.rdf in FF profile and restart FF
    6. Reinstalled my default PDF reader (Foxit)
    7. Checked registry and FileTypesMan to make sure the path to my default PDF icon is correct

Below are pictures to illustrate what I'm saying. In XP there's a PDF icon. In Vista it's blank. In Windows 7 there's a generic windows icon but it's not a PDF icon. In the side-by-side pictures of Win 7 and Vista you can see 7 uses generic icons in place of blanks, but I've drawn arrows to show where there are blanks in Vista, the corresponding file type in 7 has a generic icon. So Win 7 is doing the same thing, it's displaying an icon but it's not a PDF icon, it just a Win 7 equivalent of a blank icon.

Vista-7.jpg

Win XP.jpg

I'm starting to think this is a bug in FF on Vista and 7. I might note that it's only doing it for PDF. In the XP picture you can see it displays all the icons properly for file types that I have associated with a program and in Vista it displays my SWF icon correctly.

Can anyone think of any reason why Vista can't detect and display my PDF icon correctly like it does in XP? I posted at Mozillazine yesterday and got a lot of good advice, but nothing that worked. :)

2. guest

guest Guest

On the XP screenshot, is it just me or the PDF icon looks like the icon from PDF X-Change? Is PDF X-Change installed in your XP?

3. allizomeniz

Good catch Graf, I was wondering if someone would. :thumb:

It is a PDF X-Change icon. I like it better than the default icon in Foxit.

On XP, it's in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\MY USED ICONS. It's where I keep my custom icons.

In Vista, it's in C:\?\Documents\MY USED ICONS. I can't remember the exact path. I'm using XP right now.

I use that as the icon for my PDFs. I thought maybe that had something to do with it, but it's set up the same on XP and Vista and XP displays it okay.

4. guest

guest Guest

Probably you have tried this but FWIW, set the PDF file association via file properties in Windows File Explorer to the PDF Reader you want (or to the web browser).

5. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

I'm probably totally off the mark here, but I use a mozilla labs extension to view pdfs in the FF browser called "PDF Viewer" (currently version 1.0.277 at least in Linux) . It's icon has "PDF JS" in white lettering within a red box across a grey shield.

Works for me.

But, as I said...I think I'm off the mark with answering your post.

f

6. allizomeniz

Feandur, how is PDF Viewer different from the native viewer in Fx31? I installed it but everything seems just as it was before I installed. There's a new add-on in the list but no options, and when I open a PDF to preview it, nothing's any different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.