Firefox not detected (registry.dat not oversized)

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Zoulou, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoulou

    Zoulou Guest


    I am running Firefox 1.0.7 (French version) with SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 under
    Windows XP SP1 and SpywareBlaster fails to detect Firefox.

    My "registry.dat" file located in "C:\Documents and Settings\Zoulou\Application Data\Mozilla\" is NOT oversized (it's only 335 octects in size).
    (Click to enlarge).

    I checked the following page:
    and I've been reading many help topics regarding that issue and they all refer to oversized registry.dat file. Since my "registry.dat" file seems to be ok, I did not dare to mess up with this file and/or the Firefox profiles.

    I must say I'm pretty confused after all I've been reading and I wouldn't like to do anything wrong in Windows or Firefox by moving/renaming files or directories, nor to have multiple copies of the Mozilla folder in C:\ as it was sometimes suggested in what I've been reading.

    Many thanks in advance for your kind replies.

  2. semiclue

    semiclue Registered Member

    Jul 16, 2005
    Hi, I'm someone who just posted about successfully placing a copy of the applicable Mozilla folder into c:/windows/application data. The following probably doesn't address what you really want, but may make tinkering less of a worry if you do decide to try that. When I am making a copy of something but am afraid I will later not remember that it is a copy or be able to figure out which is the copy:

    If it's a folder, obviously you could usually rename the second one, adding something like "copy 2." But if it's a folder that must have its original exact name to work (as I found in this case), I insert a new, empty folder into that folder and entitle it something that will remind me, i.e. here I could name it "copy4spywareblaster."

    When it's an individual file I need to experiment with renaming (not applicable here), I usually copy it first instead and add my initials in caps to the title of the original. This of course keeps that copy from functioning if it's (e.g.) a system or .exe file. And I can search out these strangely named files easily anytime. They will still be where they were originally so I don't have to remember, and I can delete them or remove my initials from them, or delete the copies I made and renamed, if I want to reverse the experiment and clean up.

    Just makes toying a little less worrisome. Or, ok, alternately you could say I'm obsessive compulsive. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.