Firefox memory usage....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I've noticed that since the "upgrade" to 1.5.0.5, that Mozilla Firefox seems to consume a lot more memory than previous versions. Does anyone know of or have any "tweaks" or settings adjustments (using 'about:config') for Firefox that you could suggest that will help to lesson the amount of memory that it's apparently consuming these days?

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers - set it to 0
    config.trim_on_minimize - set it to true. if u dont have this (boolean) entry, u have to create it.

also remember to limit the number of extensions u use. u can try replacing some extensions with separate programs. in place of adblock, for example, u could use super ad blocker.

u can also give the firetune program a try. it will optimize a few firefox settings depending on what options u choose.

lastly u can briefly check this page: Reducing memory usage - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  3. JRCATES

Thanks, Fuser, but I've already done both of these, and I only have 1 extension....and I'm STILL experiencing higher than normal (for all previous version prior to 1.5.0.5) memory usage with Firefox.

For example, I just noticed a few minutes ago that the browser was consuming over 100 MB of memory. Prior to 1.5.0.5, I don't recall seeing it even in the 50 MB range! When first opened, it consumes about 23 Megs. Gradually, it will continue rising, until I close out that browser and open another one. Then, the same scenario plays out all over again.

It seems that Mozilla has admitted that they have a problem with a memory leak from what I've read....but that it won't really be corrected until 2.0 comes out. Of course, IE7 is do out soon, so if Mozilla can't keep the memory down, with the new features and security fixes released with IE7, I wonder if Firefox will continue to gain marketshare and be the "browser of choice" that it has been over the past year or so. Opera, anyone?

4. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I think this is not a real problem, it will be fixed in 2.0 and if you have enough RAM it is of minor concern.
    It would become a menace if this would grind the system to a halt, but i haven't seen this happening yet on my computer.
    I personally can't see why i would change to an other browser over this, they have and will have issues too.

Lamehand

5. JRCATES

I agree, Lamehand, that noone should switch their browser of choice if they are happy with Firefox and can live with the memory leak. And I've also been hearing that it will be fixed in the later version 2.0 to be released as well. While everybody is certainly entitled to their own opinion regarding matters like this....rather than users being a "fan" of a product and voice unquestioned support for it, I would personally hope and like to see Firefox users express some concern whenever it doesn't act or behave like it should. But simply "blowing it off" as no big deal won't correct the problem, and I'm hoping that Mozilla will work to improve it before the release of 2.0...but if users have a nonchalant or cavalier attitude towards this that definitely won't be the case....:doubt:

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have Fifrefox open now - 10 or so extensions, 20 tabs open - 50MN memory. Is that a lot? If you have a decent PC, with even as little as 512MB RAM, it's only 10%.
    Mrk

7. JRCATES

The memory usage creeps up gradually. For example, when I first open FF it is at or around 23 MB. But after half an hour to 45 minutes or so, it can range anywhere from 60 MB to over 100 MB with only a single browser (no tabs) and only one extension. Apparently this is a known issue with Mozilla, and they WILL be issueing a fix for it in version 2.0. But from reading several other Firefox user comments elsewhere, it seems that quite a few users are experiencing this noticeable memory leak since the 1.5.0.5 upgrade which was released late last week.....

8. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    Don't worry about the fact that this was not recognized by the firefox community, there have been a lot of users who have vented their worries about this and it won't be 'blown off'.
    (Mine uses 34 Mbyte at the moment)

Lamehand

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have not had a memory leak since 1.5. It used to be there in 1.0.x and such, but not since. It keeps rock steady for hours.
    Mrk

10. pykko

pykko Registered Member

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder why they are not addressing the memory isssue. Since long I am reading about it.

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

yes, this is one of the things I don't like about them. They simply ignore fixing this issue. :(

13. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Because it is not a common problem, and the Mozilla Dev's have trouble reproducing it! The discussion has been raging on Mozillazine for some time, and the Dev's are trying to fix all memory bugs they can reproduce, but it is not from one specific problem...

pykko, aigle, please READ the threads on Mozillazine, again they are not ignoring it, the Dev's have problem finding the cause...

14. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Thank you SSK for telling us this. :) Hope they'll improve it. Anyway almost evryone using it has memory problems as far as I know. ;)

15. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Two good guides for tweaking Firefox:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/firefox/

From the first guide:

From the second guide:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  16. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I beg to differ... How hard I try :'( , no memory issues with my Firefox :D

Lets just say that your statement about everybody is a bit... over the top :)

17. pykko

pykko Registered Member

SSk , try to open at least 5 tabs and in 2 of them open large pictures and then watch your RAM . :D

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I installed the latest Firefox today. Not that I have checked the ram frequently before, but I can not remember using over 150Mb with earlier versions, as it did today. I have now one tab open and it uses 121Mb. I guess it still remembers all the previous pages I have opened.
    I have 34 extensions. I do not experience any slowdown while surfing, and that is the important stuff.
    I have plenty of memory so these memory leaks are not a problem really, but I concur that this latest version seems to reserve (and not giving back) more memory than the previous version.

19. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Are you any getting any performance issues though from Firefox ?

I have 512mb ram, Firefox quite often hovers around the 100mb for me... I dont seem to get any performance loss.

20. SSK

SSK Registered Member

What do you expect? Loading large pictures then complaining about RAM usage? That's like asking to change your E 100 note in E 1 coins, then complaining about the weight in your wallet... :D

21. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I don't really notice Firefox feeling slow either most of the time. My firefox is currently using 170MB of memory, and 185MB of virtual memory (1GB RAM).

22. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

23. JRCATES

Same here, Tom....only I only had the browser itself (NO tabs) open! After surfing for about 35 to 40 minutes, it had crept from 23 to 98 MB (and counting!). Funny thing, if you "minimize" your broswer, and then maximize it again....the memory goes back down in the 20-25 MB range upon maximizing. I'm guessing that version 2.0 will address and correct whatever it is in Firefox that keeps it from releasing unused memory......

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.