Firefox May Already Be Dead (PC World)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Thankful, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L815

L815 Guest

I think if Firefox adopted the separate process for each tab methodology, it wouldn't feel so sluggish :]

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I was a bit fearful too at first due to hearing some truly weird reports from people online, but I installed it here and it's fine. No issues, no bugs. It's quicker for sure. Overall no problems here.... :thumb:

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Bugs are part of any new program, be it IE or FF, FF has passed off its fare share of bugs and issues so why not give IE8 a chance. I have been running it since the day it went final. I have it installed on three different PCs and till now no issues whatsoever. I do use minimal security layer of Avira+LUA+DEP and nothing else.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I feel that being current is better

5. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Isn't there suppose to be an update to the latest stable version next week?

6. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

According to this article:

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yup I am also holding off. Heard weird reports about IE8 & Vista64, & IE8 & Kaspersky. Besides I never use IE, well maybe 1% of the time. It's Opera 95%+, FF 3-4%, & IE7 <1%.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, Opera is my main browser also, but I like to keep up with the rest periodically. Still no IE8 issues though, and that's on Vista x64 too. :thumb:

9. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply but I was testing Chrome and will not recommend it to others yet.

Google has been eating into my gas money and I have spent many hours to get to family members who have installed Google desktop which has almost without exception slowed down or "contaminated" with uncanny XP problems--which disappear when Google desktop is removed!!!

So it is not a mystery that I do not trust Chrome at all. I tell all my family members to stick to Fire Fox until (if ever) Chrome is reliable and safe (over 32 computers in my family use FireFox/WOT with out any problems so far!!! [ all together almost 50 computers are used by my family (both sides and multi-generational)] .

Fire fox with WOT has been my main recommendation to causal computer internet users as I have yet to correct any problems directly connected with FireFox and WOT.

SandeboxIE is too difficult for most these computer illiterates--- no pejorative implications implied--- (recovering files is something that escapes them for whatever reason, and I am too tire to endlessly explain the procedure), so Fire fox will be the browser of chose when I recommend any.

When compared to IE, FireFox is much safer and faster on most sites ( there are still some sites where IE is needed for job related chores unfortunately).

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Cortez, Have you considered Iron? It is advertized as Chrome without Google. I am tempted to install it to check it out, but I had previously checked out Chrome last fall and was not thrilled. The differance between FF and Chrome was like the differance between life and death. :)

11. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I think to be honest they are all pretty good now.
    I have IE8 , Iron ( a chrome spin-off which looses google ), and FF

IE8 seems good , you can easily see what BHO are installed for example.
    Fast to launch cause its in windows. has its own cloud thing for malware and drive-by sites.

Iron has its sandboxing app for drive-byes, is really fast to launch , fast rendering engine.
    You can also use "Iron portable", i.e without an install, which i really like.

FF is slower to load - but only because i have loads of addons.
    FF & Noscript prevents default javascript so that drive-by is gone.

So its much of a muchness really.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've just downloaded IE8, and it's feels as a real improvement from IE7. Not as fast as Chrome though, and speed is very important for me when I choose a browser.

13. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I will have to look into Iron , today is the first time I heard of it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, IE8 is a drastic improvement over 7. I like it a lot. I use it as my default in Win now.

15. L815

L815 Guest

I like IE8 but have yet to find a sufficient adblock for it & am annoyed with the accelerators icon not being disabled after disabling everything related to it.

I'm in a bind between Opera 10 alpha & Firefox 3.1 beta :'( :'(

16. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Dead? I downloaded it last evening and I can assure you that it is alive and well.

In the latest version I downloaded, you can control javascript in Options:

ff-jsPref.gif

----
    rich

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I use from a variety of browsers now we have so darn many to choose from, BUT, i'm still a sucker of IE6, i know it's outdated for most but it glides and rides fine for me and always has, and as far as security i might have been hit in Win 98 but in XP Pro it was a major chore for malware in any type of exploit, drive-by or remote to slip past my electric fence of 50 megatons of pure raw voltage of the best security and hardening apps the internet can offer.

Now as far as my favorite alternatives, theres IRON, and the latest FIREFOX doesn't seem to be dead or troubled at all in my experiences with it. Theres also K-Melon & yeah of course Chrome but i rarely use them at all, but they are there.

Oh, and my long time favorite of all is good ole OPERA!!!

Firefox dead? Maybe IE8 will be an improvement but it's still tethered to the O/S and the other browsers i use are 100% independent of Windows for the most part because i am a huge fan of PORTABLES and they've showed no issues with me. I ONLY USE FIREFOX PORTABLE when i do use it. LoL

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.