Firefox Issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mercurie, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hi All,
    I have had some issues with Firefox closing. I click close after I am finished using the net. I always run the CCleaner to clean up. Recently and even after uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, when I use the Ccleaner it complains Firefox will need to be closed before we can clean cache.

Sure enough I go to task manager under processes and there it is like it never closed. Under applications nothing! Simple solution is use task manager to end process. This causes no issues of course despite the usual warning.

I am running 2.0.0.7. I am not sure about PC 1 but it is certainly happening on PC 2.

What is this hang all abouto_O

Is it a known issue?

If I were to try another browser give one that you like. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I use Firefox 2.0.0.7 recently and had no closing problems until now. So it must be a personal computer problem. :)

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I have had this problem from time to time. I've never really done anything about it as it's easy to fix by killing the process. Sometimes when I start FF after having closed it, I notice that it is acting weird/slow, I'll look in task manager and see 2 instances of FF. It doesn't happen often enough for me to investigate what's happening. I took a quick look on Mozilla and found similar problems.
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3092936&sid=272fa886108c6f035fb459856e45c959

Here is their support link.
    http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Firefox Support Home Page

Here is MozillaZine knowledge base.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/MozillaZine_Knowledge_Base:About

And their forums.
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/

4. mercurie

Thanks Innerpeace, I'll read your links this evening when I have more time. :)

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I still use version 1.5 and haven't noticed the problem that you describe. As for another browser, try IE 6.0 :rolleyes: :thumb:

6. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Same thing has happened to me on all three linux distros I have used. Like, innerpeace, it has not happened often enough to warrant any investigation. I considered it a mild annoyance and a linux bug because I only used K-meleon when I had windows and have not heard of the problem before. Maybe it has something to do with the add-ons. I have adblock plus, noscript, shazou, and the noia extreme theme.

7. mercurie

K-Meleon :thumb: Yes no problem with that one. and I do like it very much. :)

8. mercurie

O.K. Here we go...got something here going into InnerPeace links to Firefox and mulling about on the "Hangs" I see nearly exact description...

OutPost Firewall AGAIN :rolleyes: Issue with 2.7 to 3. Also from time to time I get the "XPCOM:EventReceiver" too now I know what that is all about as well. :oops:

I'd bet this old PC1 (I am on at the moment using K-Meleon) that this is the bad boy causing the problem :p Damn that OutPost.

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

So, are you going to to get a new browser, firewall or computer :p . I see your already using a new browser, that's a start. It would certainly fix the Firefox problem :D .

Take care, innerpeace

10. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Right, Great !! But difference is not that different to make you worry which to chooce,i would say use both for some time to see which fit you best.

12. mercurie

Firefox just hosed up again. Couldn't even get to the net. Rebooted. Had to end that XPREC.... thing again. Enough is enough.....:thumbd: :mad: I want to keep OutPost at least for now.

I tried Opera along time ago and did not care for it but you know what... that was along time ago and now on PC2 I have certainly had it with firefox :mad:

Off to retry Opera. ;)

13. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Using the latest Firefox, I don't have such a problem.

I have to stick with Firefox. Not only it is a safer browser, but also its huge addon database. I have added so many features to make this browser very unique. It makes my browsing much more entertaining, enjoyable and efficient.

It is the extensions which make me love Firefox so much. They are very useful and powerful. It will bring you to the next level of browsing.

To name a few great extensions:
    - Adblock plus: kill all those aggressive ads on the net
    - Greasemonkey & stylish: Configure your browser. Configure how the website or pages look, and what is displayed. A lot of potentials!
    - Cookie swap: useful if you have multiple email address on the same host (eg 1 Yahoo email for work and for friends), so you can check email at the same time in the same broswer
    - Webmail notifier: check email for me. Notify me when a new email comes. Also it can check for webpage change, forum replies and so on.
    - Linkification: make all those text links clickable, double click on text link to go. Save much browsing time.
    - NextPlease: Now you can go to next/previous page with one key pressed. Surf to the previous/next search result more efficiently.
    - CopyURL+: advanced way to copy links
    - CoLT: Advanced way to copy texts
    - Mouse Gestures: do a lot of common commands by mouse only. For example, simply press and drag left = go back a page in the browsing history. You can configure mouse gestures too.
    - Stop Autoplay: don't play background music, video or Flash unless I tell you to do
    - Flashgot: a very good and quick way to get and manage multiple downloads
    - Download Sort: sort my downloads automatically when I download files. No longer browsing through different folders to save files in the right place.
    - Web Search Pro: make search experiences up to a new level which you can never imagine. If you search a lot, it is a must-have!
    - and many more... (See Recommended Add-ons :: Firefox Add-ons)

It is so hard to switch to another browser. It is next to impossible to find a comparable replacement. ;)
    Once you use their extensions, you will get addicted and can never get back.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.