Firefox in Sandboxie vs Other Browser

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Tyrizian, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Does Firefox startup seem slow while being executed in Sandboxie? This only is an issue with Firefox, because every other browser is lightning fast on startup, inside of Sandboxie.

I dunno if it's just on my machine, but are you experiencing this with Firefox?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah. There is a small delay when I start up firefox sandboxed. It used to bother me but its only 2 seconds or so. That's a small trade off for the protection that sandboxie provides.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I haven't seen Sandboxie slow down a browser in a good while. But, when it did, I remember in my case it was some security program that was conflicting with Sandboxie. The first place I'd look would be an extension you may have installed.

4. Tyrizian

Ok, well at least I know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I used Comodo Dragon for a few days, and that sucker popped up instantly while being executed in Sandboxie....Maxthon was fast too. I dunno, but the Firefox startup is bugging me. I have also tried troubleshooting this issue, and come out dry every time, I just think it's Firefox.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  5. waters

waters Registered Member

I use Chrome with Sandboxie because of this.

6. Tyrizian

I decided to switch to Comodo Dragon. I wasn't digging the slowness of Firefox startup. Dragon pops up fast, I am glad I switched.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

The only time that I feel any slowness starting up Firefox sandboxed is on cold starts. My sandboxed FF after cold starting, opens up in about 2 seconds. On a cold start it takes about 6 to open.

Bo

8. Tyrizian

That is what it was doing for me as well. Ever since I made the switch to Dragon, I have been getting nothing but performance. I dunno, like I said...Maybe it's something in Firefox.

9. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Firefox has been slow on cold starts like forever lol.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

What's a cold start? Hmm......let me guess, there's also a hot start?

11. kupo

kupo Registered Member

The first time you start Firefox after Windows booted.

12. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

Even if Firefox is a bit slow to start, afterwards it will be as fast inside Sandboxie as outside it.
    To change browsers because of a couple of seconds delay once in a while is taking things a tad too far, in my opinion.

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I gave firefox a trial run a couples days ago with out sandboxie and on cold start it took about 5 seconds or longer to open where is IE9 is maybe a second or two.

In my past experince with browsers and sandboxie opera was alway the fastest on cold starts,especially with sandboxie but your milage may very.

14. Tyrizian

HaHaHa, I happened to use both extensively, but decided to go with the faster one. Now, if I was nothing but a Firefox user, but then switched because of that...Then that would be taking it a tad too far.

15. kjdemuth

Chrome for me is faster than IE, FF and dragon. Not really sure why. I do like dragon though. It has site advisor now too.

16. bo elam

Word by word, that's exactly how I feel.

Bo

17. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

Really?
    Could you evolve on that?

Could you tells us, as well, why SiteAdvisor is a plus?

18. kjdemuth

Why yes I could evolve.
    I like comodo dragon because it has all the features of chrome but without the unique Client ID. Dragon also has the new site inspector which scan for malware and Blacklist Monitoring.
    Since it uses Chromium's technology, its fast and efficient.

19. Tyrizian

Well, I finally was able to pinpoint what was slowing down Firefox startup while in Sandboxie. It wasn't Sandboxie, it was Java and Silverlight plugins on load. I was able to temporarily disable these, using the QuickJava extension.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I use neither of those plugins and firefox still starts slow with or without sbie!

21. Tyrizian

I mean it does start slower than the other browsers, but it does make a slight difference with that extension I am using...At least for me anyways.

22. bo elam

According to Mozilla, each addon we use, increases starting ff for up to about half a second. If someone uses 10 addons, starting FF might double up the time it takes to open. On cold starts its even worst.

I only use 3 addons and personally I feel ny FF opening just fine, I got no complains but a good way to make FF start up faster is to take on the addons that are really necessary and leave the rest out. Same with plugins. I only use Flash and Flash is the only plugin that I have.

Bo

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Delete and remove Sandboxie, it gives me a lot of problems also, and install BufferZone PRO Freeware instead!:thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqIWZ_1tg4g

24. Tyrizian

I use to have Bufferzone Pro Freeware, prior to owning a Sandboxie license. Although my experiences were good with Bufferzone, Firefox started up even slower (On a super fast machine mind you). Sandboxie works fine for me, and offers a lot more leg room for tweaking. Sandboxes can contribute to slow startup times, but it isn't always the one and only culprit for that type of behavior. It can be a mixture of thing's (Extensions, The way the application is programmed, Plugins, Settings and the sandbox). If I were to eliminate lets say an unused plugin or an extension, yes it will still be slow in the sandbox, but I was able to shed some of the fat.

To recommend deleting and removing a program, that is fully operable...is in my opinion not good advice to give.

A slow startup with Firefox isn't so much a problem, it's a minor issue. Now if Sandboxie were crashing every single application I run in it, or if it started giving me blue screens...Then I would consider an alternative.

However, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post, but I am sticking with Sandboxie.

Besides, Firefox is the only browser that seems some what slow on startup. Other browsers run a bit better.

25. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Absolutely well said and there is something seriously wrong if you cant wait a few seconds for a browser to open.You cannot rush computing.

All the best to one and all.!!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.